Using [F6] on FTP doesn't works

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Impeeza

Using [F6] on FTP doesn't works

Post by *Impeeza »

Hi, I hope do not duplicate a bug report.

If you make a FTP connection and try to move a file from the FTP Server to local drive pressing [F6] Key you don't get the file copied and no deleted from FTP Server.

I Just make a test on a FTP server of my own, and see interesting commands on the log of FTP Server, after connection and try to move Origin_file.bin from server:

Code: Select all

LIST
connected to WWW.XXX.YYY.ZZZ:PPPP
150 Ready
RNFR Origin_file.bin
350 OK
RNTO Origin_file.bin
rename: 2 No such file or directory
550 failed to rename file/directory

I just guest what TC is treating the Move operation as a rename on FTP Servers instead a copy and then delete operation.

I also want to thanks a Christian Ghisler for all the effort put in this project, I never will be able to express all what T.C. has help me on my day to day work and life.

Regards from Colombia.
Impeeza jaja
sqa_wizard
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *sqa_wizard »

This has been reported several times, but is by design.
See e.g. FTP - Move action works like Copy or Unable to move a file pressing F6 in ftp-tab
#5767 Personal license
karlchen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *karlchen »

Hello, Impeeza.

The reported behaviour
+ moving from FTP server to local disk
+ moving from local disk to FTP server
does not move, but copies the file instead, without removing the original file from the source location
is not a bug, but a behaviour by design.

This has been asked a lot of times over the years and and explained as well.
Christian Ghisler insists that FTP transfer is not reliable enough to make sure the file has really been copied to the target location correctly, before deleting it from the source. Therefore there is a chance that such a move operation might end with a deleted source file and a corrupted target file. This is why Total Commander will copy only from/to FTP, not move.

Best regards,
Karl
MX Linux 21.3 64-bit xfce, Total Commander 10.52 64-bit
The people of Alderaan keep on bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine.
The Prophet's Song
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

[mod]Moved to the English forum.

Hacker (Moderator)[/mod]
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
niuniuch

Post by *niuniuch »

Can someone recommend a similar product, but without a megalomaniac owner that apparently knows better what I need and why?
Wilhelm M.
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Wilhelm M. »

megalomaniac owner... Nice!
Grüße/Regards,
Wilhelm
HerbieH

Post by *HerbieH »

To niuniuch:

I don't think, NOT being a mind-reader, makes anybody megalomaniac. :roll:

To mr. Ghisler:

I fully understand, that implementing a function in an application like TC, that could potentially make users loose data - that would be disastrous, also for the reputation of the program.

Still, I miss the option of moving individual things to and from my FTP-server without first copying -and then deleting.

We would all hate loosing data, but responsible people make backups of important files, so I would, in the name of convenience, personally perfer to have a one-click option to move data via ftp

- Perhaps a compare option, where the original data is first delete after being compared to the copied data? ..Kind of like in the synchronize part of TC, but without the confirmations. :)
HerbieH*
-Keep on makin' music!
Wilhelm M.
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Wilhelm M. »

@HerbiH
I think the reason why Mr. Ghisler refuses to change this behaviour is that FTP operations are still very very slow compared to other copying operations. Even copying a file of only a few MB takes considerable time. Therefore data loss is more probable.

So Mr. Ghisler has a good reason. One may have a different view of this but that does not give anybody the right to use words like megalomaniac. Other software producers are much more patronizing, e.g they do not even let you choose when to update your antivirus program or your operating system.
Grüße/Regards,
Wilhelm
iammike

Re: Using [F6] on FTP doesn't works

Post by *iammike »

Sorry guys to drag up this old thread.

But with version 9.21 when using F6 on a file on a ftps site it wants to rename the file (same like using SHIFT + F6 on a file on the local File System.) Left Pane is of course local File System and right pane FTPS site).

Bug ??
Usher
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Usher »

2iammike
It's still the same behaviour as reported in the very beginning of this topic, see the log there. F6 stands for "rename or move" and with "move" blocked it always tries "rename".
Andrzej P. Wozniak
Polish subforum moderator
iammike

Post by *iammike »

^ Thanks.

Must have misunderstood then. But strange behavior IMHO, why not block the call or just say "Not Supported" like when moving from a Zip.

Edit: You are doing a good job @FDM forum ;)
sqa_wizard
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *sqa_wizard »

Actually the F6 key offers the Rename dialog to move a file directly on the ftp server.

Example:
Assuming a folder structure like
- project
-- beta
-- release

Lets move a file "project/beta/index.htm" to "project/release/index.htm"
- Go to "project/beta"
- select file "index.htm"
- rename it to "../release/index.htm"

You will see the file disappears from beta and reappears at release folder
#5767 Personal license
iammike

Post by *iammike »

^ Thanks.

I only use an FTP site to manual (don't ask ;)) sync 2 dirs (1 local / 1 Ftp) (fortunately only a couple of files) and when the file doesn't exist local I want to move it locally from the FTP. As a workaround I am now do F5 on the FTP -> Local and then SHIFT+Delete on the FTP.