Migrate Settings to new device

Support for Android version of Total Commander

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

JeffCommander

Migrate Settings to new device

Post by *JeffCommander »

I have a lot of FTP, SFTP, LAN, WebDAV server, and other settings in Total Commader for Android, and have just gotten a new device. Is there any way to export all this configuration data for import into Total Commander on another Android device? Manually reentering it would be a major pain. I think I have the settings for 25+ servers on my first device in Total Commander.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

I recommend the free app "Helium Backup", it can backup all the app settings, not just from Total Commander and its plugins.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
DrShark
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *DrShark »

Currently each of available backup solutions has some bad sides:
* solutions like Helium require connection to the Internet, and, which is more important, 3rd party cloud service, not owned or controlled by user. It's up to service owner whether (and how long) some Android versions or devices will be supported, or whole service will work;
* there is an adb backup command which requires a wired connection to PC where ADB software must be installed to perform this command. Doesn't work on some early Android versions.
* rooting the device. Then it's possible on device to copy/restore settings from/to some TC plugin data protected folder.

I support the wish to have simple "Export/import settings" feature for each of TC plugins to make a local on-device settings backup (e.g. to some folder on SD-card) which is easy to restore even on not rooted device without a need to install or use of 3rd party software.
Donate for Ukraine to help stop Russian invasion!
Ukraine's National Bank special bank account:
UA843000010000000047330992708
matixx
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *matixx »

support ++
JeffCommander

Post by *JeffCommander »

DrShark wrote:I support the wish to have simple "Export/import settings" feature for each of TC plugins to make a local on-device settings backup (e.g. to some folder on SD-card) which is easy to restore even on not rooted device without a need to install or use of 3rd party software.
Support +++
sqa_wizard
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *sqa_wizard »

Support ++
#5767 Personal license
matixx
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Migrate Settings to new device

Post by *matixx »

push
Tippfehler

Post by *Tippfehler »

Yes!1! ★★★

Currently (TC 3.0b12) still missing...
Stefan2
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Stefan2 »

Tippfehler wrote: 2019-10-25, 23:54 UTC Currently (TC 3.0b12) still missing...
>> viewtopic.php?p=339138#p339138

Lawsonator

Post by *Lawsonator »

I wish this too
matixx
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *matixx »

2Stefan2
Thank you but install HeliumBackup (incl. 3rd party cloud service) is not really a alternative for this simple feature.
ktp

Post by *ktp »

Hello,

I am also very interested by this import/export function for all plugins.

By the way, hown can I backup the Total Commander settings itself (bookmarks, settings etc) ?
Practically, on new phone (or factory reset on old phone), are the Total Commander settings kept (by Google Play?) ?
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

I recommend Helium backup. It uses a small PC program to give the app access to all the data.

Alternatively, create a button in Total Commander bottom toolbar, button type directory, with the following command:
/data/data/com.ghisler.android.TotalCommander
This brings you to an otherwise hidden directory with the Total Commander settings - just copy them to sd card.
To restore, create the same button again and copy the files back. IMPORTANT: After copying, you then need to close TC via task manager so it doesn't overwrite its settings on exit.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
ktp

Post by *ktp »

Thank you for your instructions. About Helium backup, I already tried 5 times without success. It has not been updated for a while, adb.exe version is old (2015), and in my case it always ends up with error message after providing the 2 passwords (my phone is encrypted, so I need one password to set for the backup, and input the password used to encrypt the phone). From articles from the net, Helium backup may work for Android 4 or 5, but not reliably for later Android verions (6-10).

By the way, I bookmarked the mentioned hidden directory so in my case I do not need an extra button.
matixx
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *matixx »

ghisler(Author) wrote: 2020-02-11, 09:43 UTC Alternatively, create a button in Total Commander bottom toolbar, button type directory, with the following command:
/data/data/com.ghisler.android.TotalCommander
This brings you to an otherwise hidden directory with the Total Commander settings - just copy them to sd card.
To restore, create the same button again and copy the files back. IMPORTANT: After copying, you then need to close TC via task manager so it doesn't overwrite its settings on exit.
Thank you!!!
But why you don't include this workaround in a simple "save config" - "load config" command in Main Menue?