QuickSearch/QuickFilter for Comments too

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

HAL 9000

QuickSearch/QuickFilter for Comments too

Post by *HAL 9000 »

Suggestion: It would be great for quickfilter/quicksearch to be able to filter/search not only by the (name) and (ext) column. That way I could filter by comment too (or only by comment, or any already configured custom column). I suppose this could be slow and buggy in some cases so filename and ext should be default.
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

HAL 9000,
QuickSearch eXtended offers this option.

HTH
Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
tuska
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *tuska »

With content plugins there can already be searched for comments (TC comments: Ctrl+Z and file comments [e.g. of office-documents]).

Examples:
a) Built in Plugin "tc" for search of file comments in TC (Strg+Z) --> EDIT: correct Ctrl+Z (on English keyboard)
b) Plugin "File Descriptions"
c) Plugin "Summary"
d) Plugin "ShellDetails"

Search for comment(s):
1. Search in TC -> 'Everything' checked
2. TC field "Search for:" ev: --> !Attention: The search can take a very long time because file comments are not indexed!
    If ev: is entered in the field "Search for:" then in TC the path and the drives in the field "Search in:" are ignored!
    That means, the search is done in all drives with Everything (via TC search mask).
    Files and folders will be found, e.g. on drive C:, D:, I:, etc.
3. Search in plugins -> checked
4. tc - comment - contains: Search word
5. o AND (all match) / o OR (any match) --> check, if necessary, change to the correct value
6. summary - comments - contains: Search word

Unfortunately, I am not aware of the limits from which problems (possibly not found comments) or even a search crash could occur.
EDIT:
A short test, however, gave me very reassuring values in this regard.
1. TC search in separate window in a path with about 11,500 files
2. 4 Search criterias simultaneously: Search with content-plugins for 2 TC file comments and 2 Office file comments
3. Result: This search was done in about 2 minutes! (TC 9.12, Plugins tc, summary, Windows 10 Pro, i7-4770 CPU @ 3.40GHz 64Bit)

Another test with QuickSearch eXtended after 1 single TC file comment was aborted after about 10 minutes - TC crashed;
see also below ... Restrictions with QuickSearch eXtended ...
EDIT:\
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
TC file comments (Ctrl+Z) can be found also with

a) QuickSearch eXtended 2.2.6 © Samuel Plentz
    AND content plugins, e.g.
b) Plugin "File Descriptions"
    e.g. with Field "Long description" you can find file comments of TC(!) - Ctrl+Z

Simply enter the desired file comment into the TC window (just type in the search word...).

Restrictions:
- viewtopic.php?p=337044#337044 pt 1.+2. German umlauts or special characters (in file name or comment)
- When searching for content in many fields in file comments, the likelihood of QS eXtended (search) crashing increases.
  For this reason I do not use the plugin Plugin "summary" either in addition to the plugin "File Descriptions".
- viewtopic.php?p=333819#333819
  I can confirm that a folder with 5000 files has problems if filtered in QSX. Perhaps some kind of memory issue.
- I personally have set wdx_cache=1000 in tcmatch.ini and no problems with a search of about 500 files in about 150 subfolders (no crash)

Therefore I have a saved search in TC to search for file comments with the TC plugin too (which finds German umlauts or special characters).

-----
Favorites can also be created in QuickSearch eXtended:
Search: Type >a to filter the search for search strings/extensions (see below) saved under character "a", etc..

Character: a | Favorites search string:
.aac|.ac3|.aif|.aifc|.aiff|.au|.cda|.dts|.fla|.flac|.it|.m1a|.m2a|.m3u|.m4a|.mid|.midi|.mka|.mod|
.mp2|.mp3|.mpa|.ogg|.ra|.rmi|.spc|.rmi|.snd|.umx|.voc|.wav|.wma|.xm

Character: b | Favorites search string: .ani|.bmp|.gif|.ico|.jpe|.jpeg|.jpg|.pcx|.png|.psd|.tga|.tif|.tiff|.wmf

Character: d | Favorites search string: .msg|.c|.chm|.cpp|.csv|.cxx|.doc|.docm|.docx|.dot|.dotm|.dotx|.h|.hpp|.htm|.html|.hxx|
.ini|.java|.lua|.mht|.mhtml|.odt|.pdf|.potx|.potm|.ppam|.ppsm|.ppsx|.pps|.ppt|.pptm|.pptx|.rtf|.sldm|.sldx|.thmx|.txt|.vsd|
.wpd|.wps|.wri|.xlam|.xla|.xls|.xlsb|.xlsm|.xlsx|.xltm|.xltx|.xml

Character: e | Favorites search string: .bat|.cmd|.exe|.msi|.msp|.msu|.scr

Character: r | Favorites search string:
?\.3gp$|\.asf$|\.avi$|\.dat$|\.flv$|\.m4v$|\.mov$|\.mp4$|\.mpe$|\.mpeg$|\.mpg$|\.qt$|\.ra$|\.ram$|\.rm$|\.vob$|\.wmv$

Character: v | Favorites search string:
.3g2|.3gp|.3gp2|.3gpp|.amr|.amv|.asf|.avi|.bdmv|.bik|.d2v|.divx|.drc|.dsa|.dsm|.dss|.dsv|.evo|.f4v|.flc|.fli|.flic|.flv|.hdmov|
.ifo|.ivf|.m1v|.m2p|.m2t|.m2ts|.m2v|.m4b|.m4p|.m4v|.mkv|.mp2v|.mp4|.mp4v|.mpe|.mpeg|.mpg|.mpls|.mpv2|.mpv4|.mov|.mts|.ogm|.ogv|
.pss|.pva|.qt|.ram|.ratdvd|.rm|.rmm|.rmvb|.roq|.rpm|.smil|.smk|.swf|.tp|.tpr|.ts|.vob|.vp6|.webm|.wm|.wmp|.wmv

Character: z | Favorites search string:
.7z|.ace|.arj|.bz2|.cab|.gz|.gzip|.jar|.r00|.r01|.r02|.r03|.r04|.r05|.r06|.r07|.r08|.r09|.r10|.r11|.r12|.r13|.r14|.r15|.r16|.r17|
.r18|.r19|.r20|.r21|.r22|.r23|.r24|.r25|.r26|.r27|.r28|.r29|.rar|.tar|.tgz|.z|.zip
-----

For a quick and, in my opinion, limited search for comments, I think the aforementioned (QSX + content plugin) is consistently appropriate.

However, if you look for a number of fields, eg content of Office comment fields with QuickSearch eXtended under using
several content plugins, then you will soon reach the limits and a crash of QSX and TC(!) is likely.
Last edited by tuska on 2018-03-26, 15:14 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Axis

Post by *Axis »

tuska wrote: a) Built in Plugin "tc" for search of file comments in TC (Strg+Z)
Sorry, you meant Ctrl+Z, right? :?:
Thanks
Stefan2
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Stefan2 »

On German keyboard > Strg
On English keyboard  > Ctrl

Different identifier, same key code.

petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

2tuska
With content plugins there can already be searched for comments
HAL 9000 was writing about QuickSearch in the first post (Ctrl+S) - not about File Search (Alt+F7) - which seems to be what you are writing about.
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50b4 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
tuska
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *tuska »

petermad wrote:2tuska
With content plugins there can already be searched for comments
HAL 9000 was writing about QuickSearch in the first post (Ctrl+S) - not about File Search (Alt+F7) - which seems to be what you are writing about.
Yes, you are right.

Until there is perhaps an implementation of the proposal in TC, I also wanted to show the current possibilities in TC
for finding TC file comments compared to QuickSearch eXtended.
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

I also wanted to show the current possibilities in TC
for finding TC file comments compared to QuickSearch eXtended.
Ahh - OK :-)
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50b4 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar