Mark files/dirs in combination with ''open w/ 1 click''

The behaviour described in the bug report is either by design, or would be far too complex/time-consuming to be changed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Ilberli

Mark files/dirs in combination with ''open w/ 1 click''

Post by *Ilberli »

If have the same settings on two machines with different TC versions and different behavior. I'm reporting as 8.52a has the better, more intuitive behavior.

Scenario:
- have "open with one click" activated
- have "mark with right click" activated (see screenshots)
- right click a file (turns red)
- hover with mouse another file (e.g. a file below)
- Press F6 (to rename)

Good behavior:
- in TC v. 8.52a --> the file being red highlighted will be renamed (first file)

Bad behavior:
- in TC v. 9.12 --> the file being hovered will be renamed (second file)

Please consider to make the behaviors consistent throughout the version. I like 8.52 much better here.

Good behavior in v. 8.52a
Image: https://i.imgur.com/VDeCsbH.png

Bad behavior in v. 9.12
Image: https://i.imgur.com/q2CLNix.png

Settings in v. 8.52a
Image: https://i.imgur.com/xEqd20c.png

Settings in v. 9.12
Image: https://i.imgur.com/WG2QOTF.png

[/img]
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

Did you remap F6 to some other command? Or did you mean Shift+F6? By default, F6 opens the move dialog, and Shift+F6 activates in-place rename. Furthermore, I can't confirm the behavior you describe. For me, in both TC 8.52a and 9.12 Shift+F6 renames the file under the cursor, not the selected one.

In short: I don't think this is a bug, but somehow depends on one or more TC settings. Therefore, try to reproduce this with a clean wincmd.ini, e.g. like this:

Code: Select all

totalcmd.exe /i="%temp%\fresh.ini"
Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence
Ryzen 5 2600, 16 GiB RAM, ASUS Prime X370-A, Win7 x64

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

I can completely join Dalais remarks. I also see the same behaviour in TC 8.52a and 9.12 - in both cases it is the file under the cursor/hovered that is being renamed when pressing Shift+F6
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50b4 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
Ilberli

Post by *Ilberli »

Hi,
yes I meant Shift + F6. Sorry.

I did reset and it fixes all strange behavior. However, after a few settings (my standard settings) the issue is back.

I'll investigate which change is associated with the bad behavior.
Last edited by Ilberli on 2018-03-23, 06:53 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Ilberli

Post by *Ilberli »

No, it comes back as soon as I set the option Open files and directories with a single click. Immediately after, right clicking a file (turns red) and hovering other files will be possible.
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

Please check the value of SingleClickStart in your wincmd.ini. By default the text cursor follows the mouse cursor, so when you press Shift+F6 the file under the cursor is renamed (in-place). When you add 4 to the value of this setting, the text cursor doesn't follow the mouse cursor, hence pressing Shift+F6 renames the selected file(s).

I still cannot find any bug there, although I tried TC x64 now as well.

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror
Ilberli

Post by *Ilberli »

@Dalai: this is it. Thank you very much.

A few thoughts on the question whether to treat this a bug. I assume, you can confirm the default behavior in 9.12, but simply you don't find it problematic.

Here, again, the issue:
After blank install of TC 9.12 activate the "open with one click" option, select a file with right click (turns red) and hover another file in the same panel. Press Shift + F6, the currently hovered file is renamed, not the currently selected.

First, this was not standard behavior in previous versions. Normally, all actions referred to the selected (red) files or folders. Second, this introduces inconsistencies. Some actions will be applied to the currently hovered files and some to the currently selected. For example, renaming (Shift + F6) or openening (ENTER) will be applied on the currently hovered items. Deleting (DEL) or copying (F5) will be applied to the currently selected items. Third, the option SingleClickStart = 4 restores the standard behavior but a not advances user would never be able to derive this solution themself.

So, if you ask me: a behavior that is unexpected and inconsistent and I have no idea how to change that: that's a bug.
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

Ilberli,
First, this was not standard behavior in previous versions.
Are you sure? I've just tested with 7.04a from ten years ago and the behavior is the same.

Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

Ilberli wrote:After blank install of TC 9.12 activate the "open with one click" option, select a file with right click (turns red) and hover another file in the same panel. Press Shift + F6, the currently hovered file is renamed, not the currently selected.
Which is the same that happens in TC 8.52a, in my tests anyway. I guess you have set SingleClickStart to some non-default value (+4) in your TC 8.52a, but not in your TC 9.x.

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence

petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

Which is the same that happens in TC 8.52a, in my tests anyway
The same here, as already stated in http://ghisler.ch/board/viewtopic.php?p=339179&sid=6ba1b07958a96959f631e353ae17ea58#339179
License #524 (1994)
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
Ilberli

Post by *Ilberli »

I'd say two things:
a) I never changed the wincmd.ini manually in my 8.52 install. But ok. Maybe I did something else which I can't reproduce. But...
b) if so, it is still inconsistent behavior. No? I mean, do you want this default behavior?
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

Again: Neither of us has been able to reproduce any inconsistent behavior in any of the TC versions mentioned so far. If one TC version behaves different than another TC version on your system, then you should compare the wincmd.ini files used on your system. And, this isn't hard either. If you use the same wincmd.ini for all of your TC installations, you should compare it with a fresh one, as I pointed out at the beginning of this thread.

And, as I already said: If you don't want TC's text cursor to follow the mouse, then add 4 to SingleClickStart. I don't care about default behavior as long as I can change it, and because I don't have SingleClickStart enabled. So, yeah. I don't know what else to say.

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence

Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

Ilberli,
do you want this default behavior?
Sure. If you select three files and hover the fourth, which one should be renamed? 1? 2? 3? If you press Enter, which file do you want to run? All of them?

Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

If you select three files and hover the fourth
Actually, in that case, with more than one selected file - I get a dialog like this when I press Shift+F6 in all my TC installations (single click enabled or not):

http://madsenworld.dk/tcmd/shiftF6-multi.png

And if I just click OK in that dialog, without selecting the "Rename each file separately" - nothing happens.

By default Shift+F6 uses the command cm_RenameOnly. If you want Shift+F6 to always inline rename the file under the cursor, no matter how many files that are selected, you can redefine Shift+F6 to cm_RenameSingleFile in stead.
License #524 (1994)
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

petermad,
Ah, true, I have Shift-F6 mapped to cm_RenameSingleFile.

Roman