TC 9.12 crashes when connecting to a network drive

The behaviour described in the bug report is either by design, or would be far too complex/time-consuming to be changed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Joly

TC 9.12 crashes when connecting to a network drive

Post by *Joly »

Hi,

Did anyone experience the same?
When I try to connect to a networkdrive, I need to enter credentials.
Until previous Windows10 update, everything went fine.
But now after entering my credentials, Total Commander 9.12 crashes everytime :(

My current workaround is to connect first using Windows Explorer, then TC is able to use the networkdrive.

So, I'm afraid this issue is related to some update of Windows10.
Hoping this can be fixed a.s.a.p.

Regards
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

This is unfortunately a bug in some display drivers from NVIDIA: I analyzed crash reports received from users who had the same problem, and the bug .

The crash occurs when displaying the standard Windows connect dialog, either manually by calling WNetAddConnection3, or automatically when trying to access a virtual folder (list of shares).

There is a workaround for case 1, when accessing a directory like \\server\share or \\server\share\subdir. There is no workaround for case 2, where Windows itself opens the connect dialog.

Please add the following line to the file wincmd.ini under section [Configuration]:
UseShellConnect=-1

Total Commander will then show its own dialogs which ask for user name and password separately when you go to a share or subdirectory. You can add a button
cd \\server\share
or add it to the directory hotlist (Ctrl+D) or start menu.

After connecting to a share, you can then also go up to the list of shares.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com