How do you "run" a plug-in?

Discuss and announce Total Commander plugins, addons and other useful tools here, both their usage and their development.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

MarkFilipak

Post by *MarkFilipak »

I installed the NTLinks WDX. How do I "run" it?

There are Win10 links:
  • c:\Users\All Users\Application Data\Start Menu\
    c:\Users\All Users\Start Menu\
    c:\Users\Default\Start Menu\
    c:\Users\Default User\Start Menu\
    c:\Users\mark\Start Menu\
and in all of their property sheets, the 'Target' attribute is empty. I need to identify the targets. Win10 is messing with my Start Menu items.

Do WDXs have user interfaces? Where are they?

Thanks.
Hi Christian! Delighted customer since 1999. License #37627
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

http://www.ghisler.ch/wiki/index.php?title=Content_plugin should tell you everything you need to know about WDX plugins.

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence
Ryzen 5 2600, 16 GiB RAM, ASUS Prime X370-A, Win7 x64

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror
MarkFilipak

Post by *MarkFilipak »

Dalai wrote:http://www.ghisler.ch/wiki/index.php?title=Content_plugin should tell you everything you need to know about WDX plugins.
Thanks for replying, Dalai, but there's no "Use" information (or link) in the wiki page about the NTLinks WDX, and the plug-in's author doesn't document how it's used (or launched). I was hoping someone here would know.

It did install, and I do need it to defend against the stunts that Win10 does in its misbegotten attempt to control its users (Me!). You see, I had 2 programs in my Startup directory, but Windows decided to delete them, but then, they still run on Startup (and they're not on a "Run" line in the Windows Registry). ...Windows 10 is driving me to suicide.
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

Usually WDX plugins are used to retrieve some information in tooltips or custom columns (I mostly use it in tooltips where I see the target and real path because I don't use custom columns often). In attributes dialog WDX plugins are mainly used for setting values, so initially fields are empty, thats by TC design. However you can click ">>" button near the field and plugin will put current link target path into the field.
nsp
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *nsp »

MVV wrote:Usually WDX plugins are used to retrieve some information in tooltips or custom columns (I mostly use it in tooltips where I see the target and real path because I don't use custom columns often). In attributes dialog WDX plugins are mainly used for setting values, so initially fields are empty, thats by TC design. However you can click ">>" button near the field and plugin will put current link target path into the field.
All WDX works the same !
Some plugin have embeded ui you can reach with rundll to run it directly generally to configure it. The safiest way is to give a look to open source project that use it like : AHK Multi rename script or Super WDX or WDX guide or even double commander....
MarkFilipak

Post by *MarkFilipak »

MVV wrote:Usually WDX plugins are used to retrieve some information in tooltips ...
Wouldn't the context menu be more convenient? Or Properties? -- though you probably don't have access to property sheets.
... In attributes dialog WDX plugins are mainly used for setting values, so initially fields are empty, thats by TC design. However you can click ">>" button near the field and plugin will put current link target path into the field.
With your clues, I stumbled into it. ...I would never have guessed...

NTLinks is your plug-in, isn't it?

What about this as a general WDX solution: If TC had an "Extended Properties" drop target to which plug-ins could add functionality, then users could drag a file/directory to the drop target to get/display extended properties (including target for <LNK> objects). All of that functionality could be internal to TC and, therefore, not reliant on context menus or attributes. And, WDXs would not need to be configured.

PS: I should explain a little more. ... All you (WDX authors) need is the path/name of the file or directory, right? Well, what if there was a text line for users to enter path/name... but of course, even better, let the user drag a file or directory to the drop target and let the drop target pass the path/name string to your WDX. Get it?
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

Wouldn't the context menu be more convenient? Or Properties? -- though you probably don't have access to property sheets.
As nsp said, all WDX plugins work in the same way, they use the same interface which allows to use them for retrieving values (in tooltips, custom columns, multi-rename tool etc) or setting values (in attributes dialog). WDX plugins don't have any access to context menus.

If you wanna a more convenient way of creating links, you can try my NTLinks Maker tool which only creates links with TC-style dialog.
Last edited by MVV on 2018-04-20, 08:09 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
MarkFilipak

Post by *MarkFilipak »

MVV wrote:... WDX plugins don't have any access to context menus ...
Well, I guessed that would be the case. That's why I suggest a WDX extended properties drop target in the 2nd half of my post. What do you think of it?

PS: I'm not creating links. I'm trying to discover the target of Windows links when Windows hides the target string.
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

PS: I'm not creating links. I'm trying to discover the target of Windows links when Windows hides the target string.
I don't think that context menu is a good way of viewing file property. I've said how I do it: I use tooltips. Open Configuration, Display, Help texts, User-defined, add file/folder mask or template, OK, type custom field expression, e.g.:

Code: Select all

Real path: [=ntlinks.Real path]\n[=ntlinks.Object Type]: [=ntlinks.Target path]\n
(I use this expression for reparse points only, i.e. in file template I have rule "tc.file type = reparse point")