N attribute indication

The behaviour described in the bug report is either by design, or would be far too complex/time-consuming to be changed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

DrShark
Power Member
Power Member

N attribute indication

Post by *DrShark »

In the forum topic http://www.ghisler.ch/board/viewtopic.php?t=47611 it was mentioned that changing of "N" (NOT_CONTENT_INDEXED) attribute is not supported by internal "tc" plugin. But it seems internal "tc" content plugin partly supports at least indication of "N" attribute presence.

For example, on my PC for a file with AN attributes (as shown in Alt+Enter file properties), in Multi-Rename Tool's "Choose Plugin Property" window (MRT->Plugin) there is 8224 value for "tc" plugin "attributes" field.

However, if "attributes" field of "tc" plugin used in custom column, it there shows 32 value for the same file. Also, both "attributestr" field of "tc" internal plugin, as well as built-in "Attr" column of default "Details" file panels view, never indicate the presence of "N" attribute.

This inconsistency has been reported by email on March 12, 2018, but I didn't get a reply on it yet, so currently there is no information on whether such behavior is intentional.
Donate for Ukraine to help stop Russian invasion!
Ukraine's National Bank special bank account:
UA843000010000000047330992708
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

The custom column only caches the lower byte of the attribute value for file lists.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
DrShark
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *DrShark »

ghisler(Author) wrote:The custom column only caches the lower byte of the attribute value for file lists.
So this is intentional? Is there a serious reason for such a different behavior of this "attributes" field of "tc" plugin when it's used in custom columns?

And why "attributestr" field of "tc" plugin never shows the presence of NOT_CONTENT_INDEXED, as well as some other extended attributes? Default "Attr" column of Details view, according to TC Help, supports only r=read only, a=archive, h=hidden, s=system, c=NTFS compressed, e=NTFS encrypted, but built-in "tc" plugin obviously supports also some extended attibutes...

I think it's not good that plugin may return/show different values for different places of TC interface, especially since such unexpected behavior is not documented in TC Help (btw, TC Help currently has only very brief mention built-in "tc" content plugin).
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

"attribute" was just meant for the standard attributes. It's just a problem with the preview that it shows all the extra attributes too.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
DrShark
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *DrShark »

ghisler(Author) wrote:It's just a problem with the preview that it shows all the extra attributes too.
I'd prefer to have it working with all kind of attributes, but since "attributes" and "attributestr" fields of "tc" plugin actually meant for standard attributes only, maybe you can consider to add new "tc" plugin fields ("attributesEx" and "attributestrEx") to show all attributes including extended, so current "attributes" field feature, where it shows all attributes on preview, won't be lost?
DrShark
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *DrShark »

Such TC behavior not changed... OK.
But I think it's correct then to document it.
I guess it would be good to have one help page about built-in "tc" content plugin and its fields. There the mentioned differences of its "attributes" field behavior in "Choose Plugin Property" dialog and other places where it may be used may be described.