Suggestion: remember directory size

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

kluvi

Suggestion: remember directory size

Post by *kluvi »

Hi Christian.
I use TC to make room on disks. I use DirSizeCalc to calculate directory size etc on background, but it can be used also by regular way.
Calculation tooks long time. But when i enter to some subdir to check or delete something in it...and return back to previous level, all dirs are to be recalculated again.
It is correct behavior to do it this way, but it is very inconvenient. And worst situation is on Android, because you have only 2 panels.

Usually i do cleaning this way:
I switch to DirSizeCalc layout and show root directory.
I choose some huge direcory and go to drill inside. Then i go back and try to find another huge dir. But now i have to wait from begin to see what should be next.

I would appreciate using some kind of CACHED information. For first moment i can imagine to use previous value marked as outdated (but still with some useful information). For instance different color.
When background (or normal) process recalculates actual size, color can be changed to normal state.
That means TC should remeber all values from columns displayed for all visited (sub)dirs. It can be memory consuming, but i think that will be not such big problem. And we can find eventually some method how to reduce it (store only time consuming values, or only for limited time or after switching value cache in UI)

Thank You in advance.
Martin
tuska
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *tuska »

I think "Everything" could help you here:

Everything
Menu "Tools" - "Options..." - "Indexes" - tick: "Index file size" and tick: "Index folder size"

TC
Menu "Configuration" - "Options..." - "Operation": Calculate space occupied by subdirectories - 'Everything' ticked, etc.
See: Menu "Help" - "Keyboard": ALT+SHIFT+ENTER ... The contents of all directories in the current directory are counted. ...
kluvi

Post by *kluvi »

Huh.
Nice tool. Never heard.
But maybe too complicated.
And not solving my problem on Android.
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

kluvi,
Sounds like WizTree is exactly what you need.
Also WinDirStat might be of interest, although it's slower.

Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
kluvi

Post by *kluvi »

Great apps, but only for WIN, i need it also for Android. I can try to find something simillar for it, but it can be good tip for Christian to enhance TC .
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

On Android, you can get the directory sizes on demand with a custom button at the bottom.
Function type: Internal command
Command: Click on >> and pick nr 115.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
kluvi

Post by *kluvi »

Yes, but i must press it (and wait for recalculation ) everytime i change directory and return back again (drill)
Kenjiro

Re: Suggestion: remember directory size

Post by *Kenjiro »

I was also hit by this. It would be nice to have cached directory sizes after calculating. Of course then it would be required to have options to clear/invalidate on demand.
katrinritter

Re:

Post by *katrinritter »

kluvi wrote: 2018-05-16, 11:28 UTC Great apps, but only for WIN, i need it also for Android. I can try to find something simillar for it, but it can be good tip for Christian to enhance TC .
there are only a few apps for android to clean it, such as piriform.ccleaner with windows it is easier to find good cleaner :roll: android is not a house, you cannot call to such firma like https://SPAM-zürich.ch/ < < < spam and they will clean your home. But if you search - youll find the good one for you to clean your phone.

- - - Edit by moderator:

User katrinritter modified his post to add a Spam URL again for rohrreinigung >> spam removed >> User banned

Please help us and report such post (see the [!] button) if you find them on browsing the forum, thanks.

Thx to DrShark!

[MTAG]
vdijken

Re: Suggestion: remember directory size

Post by *vdijken »

This cannot be realized. As soon as you leave a directory it is not sure that the context stays the same. Even when you change something in the other panel the size can be changed. The size is can only be trusted until you do some action. When you return to a directory you have a bogus size because when it is realized it is for every TC user and not only for you with a special purpose. I would reject such a proposal immediately.