Synchronize tool poorly reacts to abort

Bug reports will be moved here when the described bug has been fixed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

browny

Synchronize tool poorly reacts to abort

Post by *browny »

That was seen in 32 and 64-bit TC 9.12 in different Windows versions

Comparing a 7-zip archive and directory.
There are over 2000 files packed with 7-zip (Total7zip installed), but slightly above 1000 in the subtree being compared.

Files were unpacked and compared, counters in status incremented after approximately every 20 files.
The Abort button was clicked more than once around 700 in the counter, but the process terminated only when all files were processed.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

For speed reasons, the abort button is checked less frequently (about as often as the counter is incremented).
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
browny

Post by *browny »

There were over a dozen counter updates from 700 to 1000+, yet the process was never interrupted.
The computer was not blazingly fast, there should have been plenty of time for checking the button click.

Additional remark: reaction to the Stop button click in Find Files is immediate.
gdpr deleted 6
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *gdpr deleted 6 »

I can confirm.
TC64 9.12 x64, Win7 Pro x64.

I used a fresh wincmd.ini, plus the Total7zip plug-in.

As a test, i was comparing (Sync tool) a 7z archive with a directory which contained an unpacked copy of the 7z archive content. About 90000 files in the 7z archive, with file sizes not exceeding 200KB. The total size of the 7z archive itself was about 2 GB.

I did several test runs. The Abort button was mostly unresponsive. Only in a few test runs was the 1st or 2nd click on the Abort button already acknowledged by TC. In most test runs, i needed to repeatedly click the Abort button (often dozens of times) to eventually get a successfully acknowledged button press. In some cases however, even hammering the mouse button for about 30 seconds did not help.

I am not sure if TC's response to a click on the Abort button would be delayed by some time period. Within the scope of my tests, several times i clicked on the Abort button and then waited for about 30 seconds, unfortunately without success...

I also tried holding down the left mouse button over the Abort button for several seconds in an attempt to increase the chance of TC recognizing the button press. But unfortunately, holding down the Abort button did not seem to improve the odds, either.
browny

Post by *browny »

In 9.20 beta 4 the issue seems to be resolved.
Maybe is was fixed earlier, but this bug report just slipped out of my mind.