How-to: TreeFileLocation=c:\somedir\treeinfo%D%.wc

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Eryk Piasecki

Post by *Eryk Piasecki »

I am not sure whether this is the same topics, but at least this concerns the problem of autorefreshing.
I work under Win 10 and use TC 9.12 64bit version.
The C: and D: are the partitions of SSD, other partitions are on HDD disks. The problem is that every time I chose the SSD partition by alt + letter and then I am looking for some folder by alt + F10, the program makes autorefreshing. It makes autorefreshing every time I only look for some folder, even without changing the partition. This takes a lot of time.
On the other hand, when I choose the partition clicking the button in TC, the program is not making autorefreshing. Also the effect is not observed when I work with HDD.

How I can avoid this effect?
Eryk
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

2Eryk Piasecki

If you don't have write permission to the root of your drives then TC may not write it's driectory tree cache (treeinfo.wc). Then you can instruct TC to put it's treeinfo files elsewhere:

TC Help for wincmd.ini:
TreeFileLocation= Define different location of files treeinfo.wc, e.g. treefilelocation=c:\somedir\treeinfo%D%.wc
%D% is replaced by the drive letter (or root of share, \ replaced by _)
%R% is replaced by the root path
%L% is replaced by the volume label.
Please note that these variables MUST be uppercase, otherwise TC will look for the environment variables with these names!
TreeFileLocationE= Sets location of treeinfo file only for drive E. Only works if treefilelocation= is set too!
Also notice: History.txt:
22.11.11 Added: Alt+F10 tree: If TreeFileLocation isn't set, save the tree in the same location as the thumbnail cache in the following cases: 1. network shares, 2. the drive containing the windows directory (revert to default with TreeFileLocation=%R%treeinfo.wc) (32/64)
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
Eryk Piasecki

Post by *Eryk Piasecki »

Thank you. Unfortunately this help text is not clear for me. The instruction goes:

"TreeFileLocation= Define different location of files treeinfo.wc, e.g. treefilelocation=c:\somedir\treeinfo%D%.wc
%D% is replaced by the drive letter (or root of share, \ replaced by _)
%R% is replaced by the root path
%L% is replaced by the volume label. "

However in the wincmd.ini I don't see any TreeFileLocation, neither I see any R nor L in the "treefilelocation=c:\somedir\treeinfo%D%.wc"

I guessed only that if I call TC as administrator then I should the permission and then it will be OK. It's true, then it works.

Thank you.
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

2petermad
TC does this automatically when write permissions are not available. I don't have TreeFileLocation in my wincmd.ini and TC creates the treeinfo*.wc files in %AppData%\Ghisler directory.

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence
Ryzen 5 2600, 16 GiB RAM, ASUS Prime X370-A, Win7 x64

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror
Stefan2
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Stefan2 »

Hi and welcome, Eryk Piasecki.

>" help text is not clear for me."

Default parameters are not written to the ini, so just create that entry yourself if you need to modify it.

And you see no 'R' or 'L' there because they are not used in that example, but you can use them and see what they do.

Eryk Piasecki

Post by *Eryk Piasecki »

So what should I add to wincmd.ini if I would like to put the info into e.g. E:\TotComm folder?
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

2Dalai
TC does this automatically when write permissions are not available. I don't have TreeFileLocation in my wincmd.ini and TC creates the treeinfo*.wc files in %AppData%\Ghisler directory.
Not quite true. If UseIniInProgramDir=7 and ThumbsLocation=F:\Thumbs AND F:\Thumbs is NOT available for writing, then TC doesn't write any treeinfo.wc file for the drive containing the Windows directory.

But anyway - this does not explain why Eryk Piasecki doesn't get a treeinfo.wc for his D: partition.

2Eryk Piasecki
Just put:

TreeFileLocation=%TEMP%\treeinfo%D%.wc

in the [Configuration] section of your wincmd.ini file and see if it helps. You can open wincmd.ini for editing via "Configuration" -> "Change Settings Files Directly"

I cannot guarantee that it will help, there can be other reasons for it not working by you - But obviously your TC cannot write its treeinfo.wc for your affected drives, so it is worth giving my suggestion a try.
License #524 (1994)
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

So what should I add to wincmd.ini if I would like to put the info into e.g. E:\TotComm folder?
TreeFileLocation=E:\TotComm\treeinfo%D%.wc
License #524 (1994)
Eryk Piasecki

Post by *Eryk Piasecki »

Yes, putting TreeFileLocation=%TEMP%\treeinfo%D%.wc wincmd.ini helped!
Thanks a lot!

Eryk
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

petermad wrote:Not quite true. If UseIniInProgramDir=7 and ThumbsLocation=F:\Thumbs AND F:\Thumbs is NOT available for writing, then TC doesn't write any treeinfo.wc file for the drive containing the Windows directory.
Well, I was referring to "normal" TC, not a portable one (since that is normally used on a USB drive which normally is writable for everyone).

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence
Ryzen 5 2600, 16 GiB RAM, ASUS Prime X370-A, Win7 x64

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

2Dalai
Actually in my case F:\thumbs is a harddisk partition, but with write restrictions.

I guessed that somehow Eryk Piasecki couldn't get his treeinfo.wc files written, maybe because of falsely set write privileges, so that is what I tested - and apparanly I might be right, since it now works for Eryk Piasecki with TreeFileLocation=%TEMP%\treeinfo%D%.wc
License #524 (1994)