some folders are shown as empty in TC but exist in Explorer

Bug reports will be moved here when the described bug has been fixed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Fasdalf

some folders are shown as empty in TC but exist in Explorer

Post by *Fasdalf »

I'm using Windows 7 64bit and trial TotalCommander 7.50a and i have an issue with folder C:\Windows\System32\GroupPolicy\Machine\Scripts\Startup

path C:\Windows\System32\GroupPolicy exists both in Explorer and TotalCommander. but TC shows it as empty and Explorer shows it's contents. If i try to paste C:\Windows\System32\GroupPolicy\Machine\Scripts\Startup in TC but it behaves as it does not exist. I'm get C:\Windows\System32\GroupPolicy opened.

I can create Machine\Scripts\Startup subfolder with TC and place files there. They do not appear in explorer, neither files shown in explorer shown in TC. So i have 2 C:\Windows\System32\GroupPolicy folders with differrent content.

How could tis be possible&
Fasdalf

sctreenhot

Post by *Fasdalf »

Can't post a screenshot: spam protection works too strange here.
HolgerK
Power Member
Power Member

Re: some folders are shown as empty in TC but exist in Explo

Post by *HolgerK »

Fasdalf wrote:I'm using Windows 7 64bit
Search the forum for SysNative.
TC is a 32Bit program.

What you see if you navigate to System32 is the 32bit System32 folder (SysWoW64).
You can use the Sysnative folder instead to navigate to the 64bit System32 folder.

Confusing... Yes.
But it's the way how MS has designed the new 64Bit world :(

Kind regards
Holger
Clo

As planned---

Post by *Clo »

2Fasdalf

:) Hello !
Can't post a screenshot: spam protection works too strange here.
• It works as designed by the Author. Anyway, you can't display images here in the posts, that's disabled :|
- Please, give a link to the screen shot tomorrow or later if it's refused…

:mrgreen: Kind regards,
Claude
Clo
#31505 Traducteur Français de TC French translator Aide en Français Tutoriels Français English Tutorials
Fasdalf

Post by *Fasdalf »

Forum said, i can post images and on registration day.
In order to try to prevent spammers, we do not allow our users to post URLs in any form until they have posted at least 1 legitimate posts and have been with us for more than 1 days. We appreciate your understanding in this matter in order to help us eliminate spam from this forum. If you have somehow gotten this message even though you meet both of the criteria, please let us know ASAP.

Thanks!
so, i still can't post a link to screenshot.

Could you please show full path to this SysNative folder?
Fasdalf

Post by *Fasdalf »

Windows isn't a heap of patches. Windows is a wonderful collection of patches.
c:\Windows\Sysnative\GroupPolicy\Machine\Scripts\Startup\ is valid path in my case. but this path does not exist for Windows Explorer.
This windows backward compability trick makes it even harder to understand what's real in this Windows7 64bit, camouflaging as windows XP 32bit.

This "users" "program data" "SysNAtive" and "SystemProfile" tricky parches are really annoy me.

Thank you!
m^2
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *m^2 »

Fasdalf wrote:Forum said, i can post images and on registration day.
In order to try to prevent spammers, we do not allow our users to post URLs in any form until they have posted at least 1 legitimate posts and have been with us for more than 1 days. We appreciate your understanding in this matter in order to help us eliminate spam from this forum. If you have somehow gotten this message even though you meet both of the criteria, please let us know ASAP.

Thanks!
so, i still can't post a link to screenshot.

Could you please show full path to this SysNative folder?
Mhm...the message should be fixed, nobody can post images here.

IIRC the path is %WINDIR%\SysNative, which translates to c:\Windows\SysNative on most computers.
sqa_wizard
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *sqa_wizard »

Forum said, i can post images and on registration day.
Sorry, I read the text 3 times, but I can't see any word about images ... just URLs.
#5767 Personal license
karlchen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *karlchen »

Hello, Christian.

Total Commander 7.55pb1 makes a number of invisible folder names visible which permit 32-bit applications running on Windows 64-bit to workaround the automatic folder redirection. (cf. here, please.)
history wrote:29.01.10 Added: Show more fake directories in redirected system32 dir on 64-bit systems: catroot, catroot2, spool, logfiles, DriverStore (the latter only on Windows 7)
plus of course the most frequently used one, Sysnative, which allows 32-bit applications to access the real 64-bit system32 folder.

As far as I can tell from my own experience on Windows 2003 64-bit and Windows 2008 R2 64-bit, these fake directories are displayed and work around the automatic folder redirection as designed.

So I assume that Fadalf's bug report can be considered solved.
(A 32-bit application running on 64-bit Windows can always just work around the weird implementation of WOW64 (Windows 32-bit on Windows 64-bit) done by Microsoft. It can never really fix it.)

Total Commander 7.55pb1
Windows 2003 Std Sp2, 64-bit - Windows 2008 R2 (64-bit)

Kind regards,
Karl
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Thanks!
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Romas

Post by *Romas »

The same is with windows 10 C:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Local directory, not all files are shown with comander 32-bit. Thanks.
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

You have to either use TC x64 or view System32 folder in TC via SysNative pseudo-folder of TC x86.