When selecting, scroll down earlier before the last entry

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

att

When selecting, scroll down earlier before the last entry

Post by *att »

Hello,

I have repeadedly the problem: When I select more files than fits on one screen, and the cursor goes down below the last element, I usually tend to select more files than intended by mistake, because I cannot see in advance which files are going to follow.

My suggested solution is as follows: Whenever cursor goes down and is near the bottom, start the scrolling down "X" lines EARLIER before the cursor actually reaches the last line on the screen.

I.e. start scrolling when the cursor is 2 lines before the last line, or 3, or 4, or 5 lines. Same for scrolling up.

A very nice old program from the commodore-64 times called "turbo assembler" did it exactly like this : it scrolled X lines EARLIER before reaching the actual bottom of the window when the cursor was there.
That parameter X ought to be selected by the user, either in the ini file or in the "configuration" submenu.

Furthermore, the scroll-down (or scroll-up) speed and speed acceleration and speed delay should be some parameters that the user can select.
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

2att
Depending on how I adjust the bottom edge of the file panel (by adjusting the total height if TC's window) TC will autoscroll either one or two lines when reaching the bottom of the panel when selecting the files using Ins (or Space with SpaceMovesDown=1).

Here TC never selects invisible files.
Last edited by petermad on 2018-06-02, 20:31 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50b4 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
tuska
Power Member
Power Member

Re: When selecting, scroll down earlier before the last entr

Post by *tuska »

att wrote:I have repeadedly the problem: When I select more files than fits on one screen, and the cursor goes down below the last element,
I usually tend to select more files than intended by mistake, because I cannot see in advance which files are going to follow.
In such a case I mark files as follows:

1. Right-click on the first file -> The file is marked in red
2. Hold down the Shift key
3. Drag the scroll bar down [or up]
4. Click with the left mouse button on the last file then release the mouse button -> the first to and including the last file is now marked
5. Release the Shift key

I use the following settings:
Menu "Configuration" - Options... - Operation - Mouse selection mode: "Use right mouse button (as in NC) - context menu after 1 second"
wincmd.ini -> [Configuration] -> SingleClickStart=1

EDIT: Added … SingleClickStart=1
Last edited by tuska on 2018-06-02, 22:02 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

petermad,
I assume this is about selecting with the mouse.

Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

2. Hold down the Shift key
3. Drag the scroll bar down [or up]
4. Click with the left mouse button on the last file then release the mouse button -> the first to and including the last file is now marked
You don't have to hold down the Shift key while you scroll - just Press Shift and left-click the last file, once you have located it - this way you can also scroll with the wheel (but you cannot scroll with arrow-keys, PgUp/PgDn or Home/End)
License #524 (1994)
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
tuska
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *tuska »

petermad wrote:You don't have to hold down the Shift key while you scroll - just Press Shift and left-click the last file, ...
Yes, but in this case in wincmd.ini under [Configuration] SingleClickStart=0 must be set.
The variant I mentioned above works with SingleClickStart=1.
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

SingleClickStart=0 is default, so you cannot really say it must be set, but you are right that your method works with all five settings of SingleClickStart.
License #524 (1994)