9.20b4 - SHIFT+F7

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

wanderer
Power Member
Power Member

9.20b4 - SHIFT+F7

Post by *wanderer »

21.05.18 Added: Use Shift+F7 to create directory in target panel, using the name under the cursor from the source panel as the default (32/64)
:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)
- Wanderer -

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
Normally using latest TC on:
x32: WinXPx32 SP3
x64: Clients/Servers from Win7 to Win11 and Win2K12Srv to Win2K22Srv, mainly Win10 though.
OUrm7Vo2

Post by *OUrm7Vo2 »

I hope that this addition is also added to F5 or is this a compromise solution!
wanderer
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *wanderer »

Happy to see this feature, two things though:

1. There is no difference between the windows of F7 and SHIFT+F7. For SHIFT+F7 i would expect the prompt of the dialog to be something like "New folder in other panel", so the user could be certain he pressed the right key combination.

2. It would be nice if there was a way (perhaps an extra checkbox on the dialog which should be saved in the INI as a new setting) for the focus to remain in the source panel. That way, one could SHIFT+F7 2 or 3 folders in a row and then move to the destination panel to use them.

The selected folder in the destination panel becomes the newly created folder after SHIFT+F7, that's nicely done. Just add a way for the focus to remain in the source panel.
- Wanderer -

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
x64: Clients/Servers from Win7 to Win11 and Win2K12Srv to Win2K22Srv, mainly Win10 though.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

TC sets the focus to the other panel before opening the F7 dialog, so it would be confusing if the title would show "other panel"...
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
nsp
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *nsp »

ghisler(Author) wrote:TC sets the focus to the other panel before opening the F7 dialog, so it would be confusing if the title would show "other panel"...
@Ghisler The definition is quite confusing as "create directory in target panel" means for me that no panel switching is involved as source/target panel should remain !

Even if internally you do as described (which is good for refreshing), you should add an option to focus on newly created folder and/or be back to current file/folder. By default fulfill the definition without unwanted panel switching. It should behave like F5 or F6 doing operation in target panel staying on source panel. (it seems more natural for me)
jberry910

Post by *jberry910 »

I agree with nsp
Joe
Central Illinois, USA
Horst.Epp
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Horst.Epp »

nsp wrote:
ghisler(Author) wrote:TC sets the focus to the other panel before opening the F7 dialog, so it would be confusing if the title would show "other panel"...
@Ghisler The definition is quite confusing as "create directory in target panel" means for me that no panel switching is involved as source/target panel should remain !

Even if internally you do as described (which is good for refreshing), you should add an option to focus on newly created folder and/or be back to current file/folder. By default fulfill the definition without unwanted panel switching. It should behave like F5 or F6 doing operation in target panel staying on source panel. (it seems more natural for me)
I'm not against a new option but I like the current behaviour as default.
But having a option satisfies all.
Windows 11 Home x64 Version 23H2 (OS Build 22631.3374)
TC 11.03 x64 / x86
Everything 1.5.0.1371a (x64), Everything Toolbar 1.3.2, Listary Pro 6.3.0.69
QAP 11.6.3.2 x64
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

OK, I will change it as follows:
1. Show the F7/Shift+F7 dialog over the panel where the directory will be created, like the "volume label" dialog.
2. Return to the previous panel when the user cancels Shift+F7, but not when directory creation fails.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
wanderer
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *wanderer »

Hi Christian.

I don't remember getting a notification from the forum for an answer to this thread, so sorry for the late reply.
2. It would be nice if there was a way (perhaps an extra checkbox on the dialog which should be saved in the INI as a new setting) for the focus to remain in the source panel. That way, one could SHIFT+F7 2 or 3 folders in a row and then move to the destination panel to use them.
As far as this is concerned, i would still like to see an option for the focus to remain in the source panel after the successful creation of the folder. That way, one could create several folders from the source panel to the destination one easily.

After some thought, IMHO the best way to achieve that would be to have a checkbox on the F7 dialog which when checked, it would keep the focus on the source panel after the dialog closes. The value of this checkbox could be remembered in memory by TC for as long as the TC instance is running. When TC is restarted, it should be reset to Unchecked but if the user Checks it, the next time SHIFT+F7 dialog is shown, it should be checked. If the user again unchecks it, it should remain unchecked the next time SHIFT+F7 dialog is shown.
- Wanderer -

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

2wanderer
You can already create multiple directories in one go - by separating them via the pipe. Example:

Code: Select all

dir1|dir2|dir3|dirX
creates 4 directories. This should also work in conjunction with Shift+F7 (haven't tested it).

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence
Ryzen 5 2600, 16 GiB RAM, ASUS Prime X370-A, Win7 x64

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror
wanderer
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *wanderer »

Yep, it does! :) Forgotten about that, thanks Dalai...

Now that i think of it, instead of my previous proposal, it would be nicer (and probably simpler) to be able to select multiple folders in the source window and have SHIFT+F7 add them as "dir1|dir2|dir3|dirX" in the F7 dialog textbox.

P.S.: The multiple-folders creation function should freeze the window, create all folders and then refresh it. The creation of many folders may be much faster like this.
- Wanderer -

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
sqa_wizard
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *sqa_wizard »

... select multiple folders in the source window and have SHIFT+F7 add them as "dir1|dir2|dir3|dirX" in the F7 dialog textbox
Nice idea. would help me too to create the same folders at the opposite panel again.
Support ++
#5767 Personal license
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

...select multiple folders in the source window and have SHIFT+F7 add them as "dir1|dir2|dir3|dirX" in the F7 dialog textbox
Support++ too.

In the meantime this button can be helpful:

Code: Select all

TOTALCMD#BAR#DATA
%COMSPEC% /C
chcp 65001 && %%COMSPEC%% /C for /F "usebackq delims=" %%n in (`type %WF`) do if not exist "%T%%n" md "%T%%n"
%COMMANDER_PATH%\wcmicons.dll,29
Make directories in opposite panel with same name as marked files/folders

To make the button:
1. Mark the green text above (including TOTALCMD#BAR#DATA in the first line and -1 in the last line).
2. Copy it to the ClipBoard (Ctri+C).
3. Right click on TC's buttonbar and choose "Paste".
Last edited by petermad on 2018-06-14, 21:47 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50b4 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
jberry910

Post by *jberry910 »

In the meantime this button can be helpfull:
Thank you for posting this - it works perfectly for the way I work.
Joe
Central Illinois, USA