Directory hotlist accellerator issue

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

EvilDragon

Directory hotlist accellerator issue

Post by *EvilDragon »

Hello!

This issue has been tripping me over for quite some time now, so I decided to write about it a bit.

In the directory hotlist, at the bottom there are two options: Remove current dir and Configure..., both have their accelerators (underlined letters) defined: R and C. This is all handy when you're using a keyboard, BUT!

Let's say I have some directories which start with a R or C in the list. And let's say I am currently located in one of the folders FROM the directory hotlist. If I access directory hotlist now and want to go to one of those folders starting with R and C, let's say R, what happens is - the current dir gets removed from the list!

I think that actually GOING to the folder that I want in the list should take priority in this case, rather than removing the folder or going to configuration!
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

You can prevent that from happening by manually editing the title of folders that have titles that start with R or C.

If the title (name) of your directory is for example "Roaming", then open the direrctory hotlist, click "Configure..." and then select the "Roaming" entry. Now click the button "Change Title..." and change it to: &Roaming.

Now "Roaming" also has the hotkey set to R and when pressing R in the hotlist TC will stop at this entry first.

In the future when you add a new directory to the hotlist, then when the Dialog with "New title for menu entry" is shown, simply add the & in front of the title, if it starts with R or C.

You only need one title with R and one with C to prevent the "Remove current dir" and "Configure..." to be triggered.
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
EvilDragon

Post by *EvilDragon »

Oh well... that was an easy solution. And I knew about & thing from before... just didn't know if it would work here. Good to know that it does.

Thanks!
Phred

Not Excatly Friendly

Post by *Phred »

petermad wrote:You can prevent that from happening by manually editing the title of folders that have titles that start with R or C.

If the title (name) of your directory is for example "Roaming", then open the direrctory hotlist, click "Configure..." and then select the "Roaming" entry. Now click the button "Change Title..." and change it to: &Roaming.

Now "Roaming" also has the hotkey set to R and when pressing R in the hotlist TC will stop at this entry first.

In the future when you add a new directory to the hotlist, then when the Dialog with "New title for menu entry" is shown, simply add the & in front of the title, if it starts with R or C.

You only need one title with R and one with C to prevent the "Remove current dir" and "Configure..." to be triggered.
Might I suggest, Peter, that that solution is not exactly user-friendly?
Wouldn't a better way of doing it be to design a more safe approach, not one that is ambiguous and so sudden?

Doesn't author Ghisler want a broad, not solely geek, market?
Regards, PhredE
Licence holder since 1999
Awaiting a $D donors-token for the title-bar so we can display that we have donated further.