System Information Dialog is Clipping

The behaviour described in the bug report is either by design, or would be far too complex/time-consuming to be changed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

AlanC

System Information Dialog is Clipping

Post by *AlanC »

Small issue: The command 'System Information' is creating a dialog box that in some cases clips the information on the right side. The dialog could be 50-100% larger.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: System Information Dialog is Clipping

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Actually you can scroll through the text, and even select it with shift and copy it.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Usher
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Usher »

2ghisler(Author)
I think that all predictable (short) strings should be displayed in full length by default. Currently only the temporary directory is NEVER displayed in full length, even for user with one-letter name, like C:\Users\U\AppData\Local\Temp. You can either make the window wider or display temp dir string in the next line - there is a place enough without changing the window size.
Andrzej P. Wozniak
Polish subforum moderator
AlanC

Post by *AlanC »

But it's a pretty small dialog box, and currently it's not always obvious whether letters or whole words have been clipped. I'd rather not have to scroll each item just to tell if I'm seeing the whole thing (or copy all and paste into an editor). It's just not as user-friendly as the rest of the product. It would seem to be something that's quite easily made larger a bit.
Usher
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Usher »

2AlanC
Just name strings (other than %TEMP%) that don't fit in the window in your case, please.
Andrzej P. Wozniak
AlanC

Post by *AlanC »

On the screen here at work, it's: Display resolution, Windows mode, and Swap file. I'll check at home later.

(BTW, I've already spent more of your time than I planned on this issue. And I know my screen geometry is a nasty one for applications to deal with. I use dual screens. One is 4K but scaled. Other is 2K. Office is dual, and I frequently access it using remote console from a differently sized laptop with a second monitor setup. Also my use of on/off switches and a KVM is constantly forcing monitors to go away but later come back. These transitions are all forcing applications onto different monitors with different resolutions and scaling factors. So I expect a lot of font/layout minor glitches in applications, especially ones that let me choose font sizes. I originally imagined that this System Information issue just involved bumping a single parameter on the dialog resource definition and it would look better. If it's more work than that, I'm fine with just flushing this whole thread. A big thank you to the whole TC team.)
Usher
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Usher »

2AlanC
So you have some unusual font/display settings… For default settings it's only %TEMP% that can't fit.

2ghisler(Author)
Maybe that dialog window could be resized basing on TC font/display settings for currently used screen?
Andrzej P. Wozniak
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

My %TEMP% fits perfectly: http://madsenworld.dk/tcmd/sysinfo.png :D :wink:
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50b4 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
Usher
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Usher »

2petermad
It's another UNUSUAL setting, not the default one.
Andrzej P. Wozniak