RSS feed tests

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Hacker

Re: RSS feed tests

Post by *Hacker »

All of Stefan2's posts at least from Umbenennen v WhatsApp Dateien mit dem MUT and [Solved] Dateien zusammenführen: Unterordner auflösen. are missing in my feed as well.

Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

Also the posts of user matixx in Eigene/andere Buttons are missing in my feed.

Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
Brumm

Post by *Brumm »

Just noticed: On the Smartfeed page, the links in the footer (imprint, privacy policy, ...) are all 404.
Dateimanagerfetischist.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Fixed, thanks!
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

I think I found out why the Smartfeed addon is missing some posts:

It seems to perform a strange check for observed topics. I have commented out that code, and now posts from e.g. user "matixx" appear in the feed.

Here is the relevant code:

Code: Select all

// Is this topic or forum associated with the post being tracked by this user? If so, exclude the post if the topic track
// time or forum track time is before the earliest time allowed for a post.
if (((!is_null($row['forum_mark_time']) && ($row['forum_mark_time']) < $this->date_limit)) ||
	((!is_null($row['topic_mark_time']) && ($row['topic_mark_time']) < $this->date_limit)))
{
	$include_post = false;
}
else
{
	$include_post = true;
}
For user matixx, forum_mark_time was smaller than the date limit (30 days). I don't know what the code does here, it seems to be unrelated to rss feeds. Maybe the author copied it from elsewhere.

Anyway, could those who had the problem of missing posts please check whether they are still missing any?
HolgerK
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *HolgerK »

ghisler(Author) wrote: 2018-10-17, 16:13 UTC Anyway, could those who had the problem of missing posts please check whether they are still missing any?
Jepp, this seems to work now without flaws.
In addition to the missing post from user matixx and user Stefan2 (german forum) i've noticed that some posts from user Brumm are also delivered now via smartfeed.

Many thanks! :D
Holger
Make our planet great again
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

Christian,
Thank you!
could those who had the problem of missing posts please check whether they are still missing any?
Hard to tell, since, the only way I find out about missing posts is if somebody quotes some post that I have not seen before.

Roman
clifford_cooley

Post by *clifford_cooley »

I found this forum looking for a RSS Feed for new TC version releases. At the moment I am subscribed to new threads posted on the English topics. I created an account and responded to the first feed I received. I'm still interested in a version release feed.
License #116347
tuska
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *tuska »

clifford_cooley wrote: 2019-03-05, 16:59 UTC I found this forum looking for a RSS Feed for new TC version releases.
At the moment I am subscribed to new threads posted on the English topics.
I created an account and responded to the first feed I received. I'm still interested in a version release feed.
This could be of interest for you:
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=52012
"Check for updates…"
clifford_cooley

tuska wrote: 2019-03-05, 18:04 UTCThis could be of interest for you:
That is interesting.

However I'm trying to avoid turning on the update nag every time I load software. Manually checking defeats the notion of wanting notifications. I pay more attention to my email/RSS feeds than anything. Perhaps it is my own user habits getting in the way.

I am subscribed to an application sharing host (Techspot). They don't always stay up to date. In fact I once informed them of a new release myself, after doing a manual check. I even asked them if they could include links for the 32/64 bit installer. At the time they were not even aware of the installer that included both bit versions. So it seems I'm not the only one having issues with finding resources on being notified.
License #116347
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

I'm sorry but I cannot offer an RSS feed just for updates. Why? RSS software usually checks every hour, sometimes even more frequently. New Total Commander (final) versions come out every half a year or so. If 100'000s of people would subscribe to such a feed, it would bring down our servers very quickly, requiring a server farm just for these update checks! That's why I check for updates via DNS. It is cached at the internet access provider's DNS servers and therefore doesn't reach us in a lot of cases.

You don't need to use Total Commander to do the checks! You can use the command line on Windows:
nslookup -type=TXT releaseversion.ghisler.com

It will return something like this: "10.9.21.1;1"
10. can be ignored, it puts the IP address in the unroutable 10.0.0.0 range, so it doesn't point to a real server by accident.
9.21 is the version number
.1 is the 'a' of 9.21a, .2 would be 'b' etc.
;1 means the number of days to wait until the next check - here it's one day (check every day).

For the beta, use:
nslookup -type=TXT releasebeta.ghisler.com

Currently it returns "10.9.22.229;1"

The 229 means: Everything above 128 is a beta version.
129 = beta 1,
130 = beta 2
etc.
229 = release candidate 1
230 = release candidate 2
etc.
clifford_cooley

Hmm! Well that explains a lot. And is totally understandable.

If I could get a nslookup like that for all my software. I would script my own update lookup for a weekly scheduled run.
License #116347
KennethMitchell

Post by *KennethMitchell »

I exploit Maxthon for scrutinizing locations intent it has a wide scope of further choices and items. Considered one of such an option is autodetecting of RSS channels so even there is not any effortless to peer knowledge about it on the web page, Maxthon instructs me with recognize to it. Thusly I could see that rss support has seemed right here before I've examined Christian's information. I exploit it just to respect the rss, for survey i use Miranda and it really works k, by means of and by using.

- - - Edit by moderator:
User came back to enable his signature to add spam there >> User is banned now

Please help us and report such posts (see the [!] button) if you find them on browsing the forum, thanks.
REED

Post by *REED »

Shouldn't something be said about having the little orange XML image so we can basically purchase in to the feed instead of doing autodiscovery and a short time later undertaking to understand which of the jumbled URL's is the dialog we need?
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

Has anything changed? My RSS reader has not been able to connect for at least two days now.

Roman