When comes 'Dark Theme' for TC?

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Deus-XII

When comes 'Dark Theme' for TC?

Post by *Deus-XII »

Good day!
Dark theme already came at Windows 10 1809.
So, the question is: when it will come at our favorite Total Commander? Or, may be it's allready there? But not like just change a panels color, I'm know about it.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: When comes 'Dark Theme' for TC?

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Unfortunately the Windows theming engine doesn't seem to support per app dark themes. You can set it to high contrast mode in the control panel, but it sets it for all programs.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Thany

Post by *Thany »

Loads of applications, both classic and modern, can be dark themed. Please refrain from making such excuses.

Also I've *set* Windows to dark theme, so it oughta respond to that. So I don't even want per app dark themes. I want it (and have it) system-wide!

High contrast is absolutely nightmarish. You can't be seriously recommending that.
Total Commander 11 on Windows 10
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

So, how can I make the standard Windows controls look dark without changing the theme? It's not possible.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Thany

Post by *Thany »

I don't know how. But I do know it's possible. Other applications are doing it, so there must be a way.
Surely it can't be that hard. It's just inverting colours (brightness actually) for most things.
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

It could require own drawing for all components...
j7n

Post by *j7n »

If you have a 3D button, simply "inverting" it will break the illusion of depth and have the button or panel look depressed instead of raised. I've seen a physics/math-related video (I forgot which) where they showed some non-computer graphics with light rotated around, and claimed that top-left light direction is deep within our culture.

Funny how on Hebrew Windows 2000 release they do mess with the light direction with a very weird outcome and conflict with the built-in Minesweeper application which has the buttons hardcoded (video 4:00). And yes 3D buttons are still superior, in spite of the trendy flat design.

Sure, it requres custom controls.
#148174 Personal license
Running Total Commander v8.52a
Thany

Post by *Thany »

Since when do we still have 3D/beveled controls?...

Anyway, by "inverting the colours" I didn't mean to do it pixel-by-pixel. I meant basically swap the background and foreground colours, and match up the borders and whatnot to make it not too ugly.

I've posted some examples in this other dark mode topic.
ivan5564

Post by *ivan5564 »

Total Commander is perfect, except that the lack of a dark theme has been hurting my eyes for years. Even Norton Commander 4.0 was kind of prettier, but now one is spoiled by the likes of Adobe Creative Suite, Visual Studio, Sublime Text, and a plethora of other applications with eye-candy dark themes.