checkbox for nonstop COPY: don't stop at errors, continue no matter what

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

isidro

checkbox for nonstop COPY: don't stop at errors, continue no matter what

Post by *isidro »

I faced this problem with TC too many times: Usually I have to copy a full windows partition, sometimes on slow or problematic drives (an overnight process). Just to find out the following day that Copy was stopped after initiated and a dialog is waiting for user answer:
Mantaining longer than 256 chars path-filenames, can't read locked files, cant copy not owned files, can't read files due to bad sectors, replace older files in destination, etc.

I wish a checkbox to continue no matter what, and skip any problematic files or dialogs, which I could retry after a comparisson. In that way most of the huge copy would be done by next day. Now I'm overdue one day becuase of this issue and won't be able to deliver in promised time :(
Stefan2
Power Member
Power Member

Re: checkbox for nonstop COPY

Post by *Stefan2 »

isidro wrote: 2019-01-23, 15:06 UTC...I wish a checkbox to continue no matter what, ...
Mr. Ghisler didn't want such option,... too dangerous if checked accidentally by user.

But....

History.txt wrote: 03.09.13 Release Total Commander 8.50 public beta 2 (32/64)

01.09.13 Added: F5 copy, questions asked at end: If there is a dialog within the first 5 seconds,
show it instead of postponing it (the user should still be there) - was 0.5 seconds in beta 1 (32/64)

12.03.13 Added: wincmd.ini [Configuration] SkippedFileCopy=0 turns off new copy mode
where files with errors are skipped and handled at the end (32/64)

10.03.13 Added: F5 copy: First copy all files where the user doesn't
need to be asked and skip all with errors, ask at the end (32/64)

English:

Help > Config and Switches > Settings in the file wincmd.ini

[Configuration]
SkippedFileCopy=1

1: First copy all files where the user doesn't need to be asked and skip all with errors, ask at the end
0: Copy all files in order, ask for confirmation when needed

Just create "SkippedFileCopy=" is not existent below of [Configuration]

- - -

German:

Hilfe > Konfiguration und Parameter > Einstellungen wincmd.ini

[Configuration]
SkippedFileCopy=1

1: Erst alle Dateien kopieren, bei denen der Benutzer nicht wegen Überschreiben etc. gefragt werden muß, erst am Ende fragen
0: Alle Dateien in ihrer Reihenfolge kopieren, wenn nötig Benutzer fragen

Falls "SkippedFileCopy=" nicht unter [Configuration] existiert, dann einfach anlegen.

petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

Also consider this parameter, to not have your copying stopped:
LongNameCopy=0 During file operations, warn if target name is longer than 259 characters:
0=always
1=never
2=if source name isn't longer than 259 characters
3=disallow long names
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50b4 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
isidro

Post by *isidro »

Thanks for those settings, very useful.

"Mr. Ghisler didn't want such option,... too dangerous if checked accidentally by user."
I don't see the problem with SKIPPING offending files, and eventually warning after finish about not all files were copied.
prorokrak

Re: checkbox for nonstop COPY: don't stop at errors, continue no matter what

Post by *prorokrak »

Hi, I would also appreciate if the SkippedFileCopy would skipped also all the files that have very long names. I knew that TC now supports the option SkippedFileCopy so I was very unpleasantly surprised when I found out that my computer was turned on the whole night, waiting for my answer about long file names, instead of copying several terabytes of data. It was just few stupid files that blocked the whole process.

I would like to have the opportunity to make the decision every time when a long file name occur, instead of setting only one option in the INI settings file. I just do not want to have copying stopped because of this problem.

Thank you for considering this suggestion.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: checkbox for nonstop COPY: don't stop at errors, continue no matter what

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

TC should show the long name warning at the end too. Maybe you copied via F5-F2 in the background? There SkippedFileCopy isn't supported, because the transfer manager determines the copy order. Or maybe all remaining files had long names?

Btw, you can also disable this warning with LongNameCopy=1 in wincmd.ini.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com