Bug on my PC with "Master password for FTP connections" (PW chars duplicated)

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

lkovacsik

Bug on my PC with "Master password for FTP connections" (PW chars duplicated)

Post by *lkovacsik »

Hi,

I could not use my Master password. First I thought that I have it forgotten.
However this is not the fact. When I fill in the field with my password, each character is duplicated. (Ex. If I write "abcd" then it is recognised as "aabbccdd". OK, I thought a workaround is that I delete each 2nd character from the field. This was unsuccessful: at each Backspace or Delete the twins are deleted.
Then I have put the Master password in the clipboard and have copied it in the field. In this case the whole password has been duplicated. By using the example above the password field contained "abcdabcd". Fortunately in this case deletion of the unnecessary characters was possible and finally I could use my ftp connections.
However this is a bug and should be corrected.

(My configuration is: Windows 10 Pro (updated to the latest version), 64-bit OS (English version), Total Commander V 9.12 64 bit (2017-11-24), registered by TRAN-SYS KFT.)
Usher
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Bug on my PC with "Master password for FTP connections" (PW chars duplicated)

Post by *Usher »

It's not a bug, it some hardware problem or malware. First you should update your Total Commander, change keyboard in your PC (connect it to another USB port if possible) and make sure your system is free of malware.
Andrzej P. Wozniak
Polish subforum moderator
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Bug on my PC with "Master password for FTP connections" (PW chars duplicated)

Post by *petermad »

I could reproduce this once, but not again thereafter.

What I did, when in the Master Password dialog:
1. Typed some characters
2. Clicked the "Show" tickbox
3. Typed some more characters
4. Clicked the padlock icon to disable "Secure input (keyboard hook)"
5. Deleted the input and started typing again - now the input was duplicated.

But after this first try, I have not been able to reproduce the bug again. Maybe after a reboot, I will test that later.
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50b4 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
HerbieH

Post by *HerbieH »

Hello lkovacsik.

I have had a few problems with USB keyboards. But when i got a new motherboard the problems stopped.

My solution then was:
Often, it was enough for me, just to press the 'qualifier keys' (shift, ctrl, esc, AltGr, and the Windows keys) one at a time, to correct keyboard errors.
If that didn't work, I restarted the software that was affected, and a few times I had to reboot the computer.
HerbieH*
-Keep on makin' music!
Usher
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Usher »

petermad wrote: 2019-01-26, 09:56 UTC Maybe after a reboot, I will test that later.
Bug hunting isn't easy. Once again: It may be some problem with dirty keyboard buffer in TC, but…
There may be also other reasons:
- conflicting keyboard hook from some hardware driver or another service sitting in background (including keylogger in malware);
- hardware problem (dirty and sticky keyboard, USB port broken or poorly powered, etc.).
Andrzej P. Wozniak
Polish subforum moderator
argh0815

Post by *argh0815 »

I had the same issue on my X1 Tablet, resolved it by setting Allowhook=0 in wcx_ftp.ini.
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

Actually I can now reproduce the bug when doing as described before:
1. Typed some characters
2. Clicked the "Show" tickbox
3. Typed some more characters
4. Clicked the padlock icon to disable "Secure input (keyboard hook)"
5. Deleted the input and started typing again - now the input was duplicated.
Notice the "Secure input (keyboard hook)" has to be enabled before testing.
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50b4 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar