Is it possible to pack to 7z, using internal packers?

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Usher
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Is it possible to pack to 7z, using internal packers?

Post by *Usher »

Your explanation is irrelevant. You are missing the point.
If someone uses 7-zip, then he/she obviously keeps plugins for 7-zip in 7-zip subfolders.
So do I. Therefore I don't need to replicate this structure and copy either 7-zip plugins or 7-zip files to Total7zip subfolders and I don't need to remember to update both copies.
If some badly designed software uses hardcoded paths, I will create hard links to files (or junction to directory) rather than copy them.
Andrzej P. Wozniak
Polish subforum moderator
chandragor

Post by *chandragor »

Usher wrote: 2019-02-25, 17:31 UTC Your explanation is irrelevant. You are missing the point.
I did indeed miss the point.

You are right: if you have installed 7zip, Total7zip shoud by default use whichever library is installed with 7zip itself, at most overriding something if it is installed in Total7zip folders.

One can just use my suggestions if he never installed 7zip and wants to use Total7zip alone.

Regards.
Happy owner of license #12422 since 1997
TW

Post by *TW »

is it possible to use Total7zip together with https://mcmilk.de/projects/7-Zip-zstd/

whatever i method i select, always LZMA2 gets used.
licenced and happy TC user since 1994 (#11xx)
Usher
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Usher »

You must add zstd codec for 7-zip. You should look at the 7-zip forum, f.e. here: https://sourceforge.net/p/sevenzip/discussion/45797/thread/6db98beb/?limit=25#87a2
Andrzej P. Wozniak
TW

Post by *TW »

not sure if this is the problem, i can also select LZMA but LZMA2 is used...

maybe something's wrong with my Total7zip installation.

/edit: ok, it works fine with standard 7-zip, at least.

the codecs are included in 7-Zip-zstd, but still it does not work.
Usher
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Usher »

TW wrote: 2019-02-27, 22:45 UTCnot sure if this is the problem, i can also select LZMA but LZMA2 is used...
7-zip tries to use method that fits better to your needs (if you specified them, of course). In this case LZMA uses at most 2 threads, while LZMA2 is multithreaded, so LZMA2 is used by default (it's faster and in most cases gives slightly better compression). And you should check method used for every file (block) separately - list files in archive or use 7zFM to check that info.
TW wrote: 2019-02-27, 22:45 UTCthe codecs are included in 7-Zip-zstd, but still it does not work.
Do you have settings for additional formats added to Total7zip.xml? There should be a long list for formats, GUIDs and extensions there…

What exactly doesn't work? Packing, unpacking, any specific method? Do a test like that: pack some files using 7-zip with zstd method, check that the method is really used, then try to unpack a file zstd-compressed using Total7zip. If unpacking zstd works, but packing does NOT, that something must be missing in Total7zip settings.
Andrzej P. Wozniak
TW

Post by *TW »

unpacking 7zip-zstd works fine.

i deleted Total7zip.xml, now always BROTLI is used.

funny, i open 7z "configure" in TC, do some changes. after that the Total7zip.xml has a new timestamp, but NOTHING in it has changed.
but the "configure" dialog remembers last setting, so i guess i need to figure out where the heck this is stored!?