Feature request: hotkey for change directory menur item

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

nirmelamoud

Feature request: hotkey for change directory menur item

Post by *nirmelamoud »

will be really nice if you can add a shortcut / hotkey for a specific change directory item
so instead of the need to do CTRL-D and find the folder you frequently use, you can just add a shortcut, for example
CTRL-DA will jump to a folder marked as A

Thanks
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Feature request: hotkey for change directory menur item

Post by *Dalai »

Since the directory hotlist is a regular Windows menu, you can prefix any character with an ampersand (&) to make it "directly addressable". Example: Name the menu item "&ATest" and you'll be able to use Ctrl+D followed by the A key to directly select it. If there's only one item with this hotkey, TC will automatically execute it. If there's more than one, it will jump between them, and you can confirm the selection with Enter.

HTH

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence
Ryzen 5 2600, 16 GiB RAM, ASUS Prime X370-A, Win7 x64

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror
nirmelamoud

Post by *nirmelamoud »

How is that working ? its not working for me, it just cycle through all menuitems that has that letter, not through the ones that has &A , so it will circle through "Android" item, "All" Item, "Anything" item asssuming I have Android, All, Anything as menuitems in the diretcory list
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

See this picture. All items which have an underlined hotkey can be access directly by pressing the corresponding key on the keyboard after opening the directory hotlist (by e.g. Ctrl+D). In my case it's A and B. And yes, as I said above: if there's more than one item with the same hotkey, Windows cycles through them, including the TC items "&Add current dir" and "&Configure"; this is normal behavior.

Just prefix a different character with the ampersand to avoid having more than one item with the same hotkey.

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror
nirmelamoud

Post by *nirmelamoud »

not really working that way, I think, here is how it is working for me, now , thanks to you, I understand it a bit deeper

1. if you do not have a &<letter>word in your menu , clicking that letter will go through the menu items that start with that letter - but will just highlight it, not select it.
2. if you have &<letter>word in your immediate menu (not sub menu like I did) it will select it (change to that dir) or if there are more than one will cycle through them, and with enter you can select

what I was looking is an ability to assign a letter to a menuitem even if its deep in the tree of menus , so my menu item is inside 3 layers of submenus (yes I have a lot)

thanks
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

nirmelamoud wrote: 2019-01-20, 19:16 UTC1. if you do not have a &<letter>word in your menu , clicking that letter will go through the menu items that start with that letter - but will just highlight it, not select it.
2. if you have &<letter>word in your immediate menu (not sub menu like I did) it will select it (change to that dir) or if there are more than one will cycle through them, and with enter you can select
Correct.
what I was looking is an ability to assign a letter to a menuitem even if its deep in the tree of menus , so my menu item is inside 3 layers of submenus (yes I have a lot)
Well, the mentioned method also works with submenus, with the downside that you have to press several hotkeys in the right order. Example: With A&Test > &BTest submenu > &CTest subsubmenu you can press Ctrl+A, followed by T, B, and C to immediately select the item in the hotlist's third level.

Not the exact thing you want, but the closest you can get with TC right now.

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence

nirmelamoud

Post by *nirmelamoud »

I do not need the & for that, even without it , it worked the way you describe, anyway since this is really not convenient, I'm asking for a feature to be developed.
nirmelamoud

Post by *nirmelamoud »

can it be considered as a feature request ?
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

nirmelamoud,
That would need replacing the standard windows control for the menu by a completely custom one, replicating all the functionality and adding one additional feature. Perhaps you could use a simple AutoHotkey script as a workaround?

Code: Select all

#IfWinActive, ahk_class TTOTAL_CMD
~^d::
	; Here X is the hotkey you want to use for an item which could be reached by typing ABC.
	; Similarly Y for item reachable by DEF.
	KeyList := {x: "abc", y: "def"}
	WinWait, ahk_class #32768
	Input, Key, I L1 T2
	Send, % KeyList[Key]
Return
Upon invoking the directory hotlist by using Ctrl-D the script waits two seconds (T2) for a keypress (e.g. X) and then sends the appropriate replacement keypresses (e.g. ABC) to the directory hotlist.

HTH
Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
nirmelamoud

Post by *nirmelamoud »

nice trick, will work well as long as the menu does not change, I guess its good for now- luck yI was using AHK for other things , so it was very easy - thanks
nirmelamoud

Post by *nirmelamoud »

Roman (and Others) ,

In the past few weeks I notice a delay opening Directory Hotlist (4 seconds or so) , the strangest thing is that happened on two computers Im using.
the reason is this AHK script mentioned above when I pause it , it does not cure the problem when I exit it does.

it was working for a while without this delay, but now it started to create this, any Idea ?
do you say it as well ?
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

nirmelamoud,
I just tested it, no change, it's instantaneous.

Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
nirmelamoud

Post by *nirmelamoud »

it was for me as well, up until lately, but than in two separate computers, any idea how this could happen ? why ?
I have 9.10 (wincmd version)
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

nirmelamoud,
Apart fron an AHK update, no, not really, the script lets Ctrl-D through so the menu should be shown the same way with or without it. You can perhaps try replacing ~^d:: with $~^d:: (just prepend a dollar sign) and see if it makes a difference. That uses another method to "catch" the hotkey.

Roman
nirmelamoud

Post by *nirmelamoud »

did not help, latest ahk :(