How to use "Everything" indexing utility with TC?

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

spikey

How to use "Everything" indexing utility with TC?

Post by *spikey »

On the "Find Files" dialog there is a box to use the indexing tool Everything by VoidTools.

I already have Everything installed and use it regularly. How do I configure TC use it for searches?
tuska
Power Member
Power Member

Re: How to use "Everything" indexing utility with TC?

Post by *tuska »

spikey wrote: 2018-12-23, 18:26 UTC How do I configure TC use it for searches?
TC Parameter --> ed:
Search in TC with "Everything" from current directory - adjustable directory depth! - even if field "Search in:" is empty.

Example:

Code: Select all

ed: *.msg dm:thisweek
TC Parameter --> ev:
If ev: is entered in TC in the field "Search for:" then
- in TC the path and the drives in the field "Search in:" are ignored! ...
- this means that the search in TC is performed in all drives/folders using "Everything".
However, the search is only carried out in those drives/folders that have been defined accordingly in the "Everything" settings,
i.e. under menu "Tools" - "Options..."
- Indexes: NTFS (Local volumes) - ☑ Include in database,... (Hard disks + USB drives: NTFS formatted)
- Indexes: Folders - ☑ Attempt to monitor changes, ◉ Update (e.g. network folders, USB drives[FAT32,...], etc.)
Indexes: NTFS, Indexes: Folders

Example:

ev:dm:last30minutes <folder:|file:> !C:
See also:
Info TC <-> Everything
Horst.Epp
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Horst.Epp »

In addition to Tuska's description I suggest the following:
Run the Everything Service and let Everything run in the background.
Don't run Everything as Administrator.
Windows 11 Home x64 Version 23H2 (OS Build 22631.3374)
TC 11.03 x64 / x86
Everything 1.5.0.1371a (x64), Everything Toolbar 1.3.2, Listary Pro 6.3.0.69
QAP 11.6.3.2 x64
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

2spikey
In addition to indexing files you can also use 'Everything' for fast calculation of folder sizes - See: https://www.ghisler.ch/board/viewtopic.php?p=344501#p344501
You can use ''Everything' in two ways with TC. For searching where you have to enable it by ticking the box: 'Everything' (TC 9.0 or later) in the "Find files" dialog. ( http://madsenworld.dk/tcmd/everything1.png )

You can also use 'Everything' to give fast results for calculating dir-sizes when you press Alt+Shift+Enter (TC 9.10 or later). You must enable that in "Options" -> "Operation" -> "Calculate space occupied by subdirectories" -> "Everything". ( http://madsenworld.dk/tcmd/everything2.png )

For the latter to work, you have to configure 'Everything' to index folder sizes: "Everything Options" -> "Indexes" -> "Index folder size". ( http://madsenworld.dk/tcmd/everything3.png )

It is recommended that you use 'Everything' version 1.4 or newer.

Everything has to be running before TC starts. The easiest way is to install 'Everything' as a Service and start it at system startup. ( http://madsenworld.dk/tcmd/everything4.png )
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50b4 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
spikey

Post by *spikey »

Guys, I still can't get Everything to work with TC. Maybe I'm struggling because I don't have a full understanding some of the common methods used in TC such as plugins, button bars, etc.

I have Everything already installed on my PC and use it regularly. I also have TC 9.10 installed.

I launch TC' and then select Search (ALT+F7). I get a Find Files window where there is a check box for Everything but when I click it, TC says "Everything Isn't Installed. Do You Want To Download It Now?"

How do I connect my existing Everything to TC?

I notice there's another checkbox for Everything in TC > Options > Operations but I get the same message when I click that box.

Any suggestions? In simple steps please!
Gral
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Gral »

Add Everything path under [Configuration] section on your main INI file, e.g.:

Everything=%ProgramFiles%\Everything\Everything.exe -startup
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

The most reliable way is to install 'Everything' as a Service and start it at system startup. ( http://madsenworld.dk/tcmd/everything4.png )

You might have to restart your Windows to see it work.
License #524 (1994)
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
spikey

Post by *spikey »

petermad wrote: 2019-04-14, 00:15 UTC The most reliable way is to install 'Everything' as a Service and start it at system startup. ( http://madsenworld.dk/tcmd/everything4.png )

You might have to restart your Windows to see it work.
I have set Everything to run as a service and I have also included the line in WINCMD.INI which Gral suggests.

However, after a reboot, when I click the Everything box in the Find Files dialog, TC prompts me to install Everything.

It seems TC still can't find Everything.
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

I have also included the line in WINCMD.INI which Gral suggests
What happens if you don't include that line?

Have you also enabled: "Start Everything on system startup" ? - see: http://madsenworld.dk/tcmd/everything4.png
License #524 (1994)
spikey

Post by *spikey »

petermad wrote: 2019-04-17, 23:26 UTC What happens if you don't include that line?

Have you also enabled: "Start Everything on system startup" ? - see: http://madsenworld.dk/tcmd/everything4.png
I have experimented further. The problem seems to be that TC expects to find EVERYTHING.EXE set up to use only one instance.

However I have Everything configured to use two instances. This is done so Everything can index one set of volumes when I launch one instance of the program. And it indexes another (huge offline set of files) when I launch the other instance.

I tried this in WINCMD.INI but it doesn't work:

Everything=C:\Program Files\Everything\Everything.exe -startup -instance "MAIN"

If I refer to Everything without an instance name then index my volumes (for this unnamed instance) then TC will work with it. However I already have two other Everything instances and don't need a third.
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

2spikey
Try and add this to wincmd.ini:

UseEverythingInstance=MAIN
or

UseEverythingInstance="MAIN"
License #524 (1994)
spikey

Post by *spikey »

Hello PeterMad, thank you do much for helping me with this. I have tried on and off for years to get TC and Everything to work together. This is the closest I have ever got.
petermad wrote: 2019-04-22, 00:42 UTC 2spikey
Try and add this to wincmd.ini
I used the following line in WINCMD.INI and it works well on "plain" Everything (with no instances).

Everything="C:\Program Files\Everything 1.4\Everything.exe" -startup
After some experimenting, I find I do not need the Windows service for TC to use Everything. I also notice TC will start up Everything if it is not already running. I am using delimiters in my path to Everything because my Everything folder name contains spaces, "Everything 1.4".

All the above means my setup allows TC to connect to and use Everything. However I can not make TC reference a particular instance of Everything. When I add either one of the following lines into WINCMD.INI, TC gets lost and can not locate Everything and, again, TC asks me to download it.

UseEverythingInstance=MAIN
UseEverythingInstance="MAIN"
I saw a complicated discussion here on the TC forum about this which left my head spinning!!! https://www.ghisler.ch/board/viewtopic.php?t=49440 What do I do?
tuska
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *tuska »

2spikey
spikey wrote:I saw a complicated discussion here on the TC forum about this which left my head spinning!!! --> tuska: Mine too, even today.
https://www.ghisler.ch/board/viewtopic.php?t=49440 What do I do?
Only if the instance "Everything" (= main instance) and the "Everything Service" are started,
then a search query in TC with integration of "Everything" is possible.

This was "My personal conclusion"… (is included in your link above).
Instance "Everything" (= main instance) AND e.g. instance "Everything (PRIVATE)" together are possible,
but the main instance must be active and the "Everything-Service" of the main instance has to be started!

Here is an example based on my request in the "Everything"-Forum at that time:
Multiple Everything instances should use the existing Everything Service.
☑ Start Everything on system startup
☐ Run as administrator
☑ Everything Service
https://www.voidtools.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=22197#p22197 - Option 1:

Everything.exe -instance "PRIVATE" -service-pipe-name "\\.\PIPE\Everything Service"	(See Button 1 below...)
Everything.exe -instance "PRIVATE"							(See Button 2 below...)
- The first command creates the INI and DB, but doesn't start Everything
- The second command starts the Everything instance (and reads the configured named pipe from the INI)

Buttons in TC (path must be adjusted if necessary), e.g.:

Button 1: Only once(!) required for entry in Everything-PRIVATE.ini

TOTALCMD#BAR#DATA
C:\Tools\Everything\Everything.exe -instance "PRIVATE" -service-pipe-name "\\.\PIPE\Everything Service"

%COMMANDER_PATH%\Tools\Everything\Everything-portabel\Everything.exe
Button1: Only once(!) required for entry in Everything-PRIVAT.ini|C:\Tools\Everything\Everything.exe -instance "PRIVATE" -service-pipe-name "\\.\PIPE\Everything Service"|https://www.voidtools.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=22197#p22197

Button 2: Starts the Everything instance (and reads the configured named pipe from the INI)

TOTALCMD#BAR#DATA
C:\Tools\Everything\Everything.exe -instance "PRIVATE"

%COMMANDER_PATH%\Tools\Everything\Everything-portabel\Everything.exe
Button2: C:\Tools\Everything\Everything.exe -instance "PRIVATE"|https://www.voidtools.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=22197#p22197|See also: Button 1 (once!): Everything-PRIVATE.ini: [Everything] service_pipe_name=\\.\PIPE\Everything Service |Everything-PRIVATE.db

Hints:
After the first instance (main instance) has been automatically started by Windows and then pressed Button 2 in TC
the "Everything (PRIVATE)" instance was started, the settings in the "Everything (PRIVATE)" instance are displayed as follows:
■  Start Everything on system startup
☐  Run as administrator
☐  Everything Service
Nevertheless, the Everything Service is also used by the main instance for the instance "Everything (PRIVATE)" (!)

If the Everything main instance and instance "Everything (PRIVATE)" is open,
Everything' remains checked in the "Find Files" window in TC and can be used without problems.
tuska
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *tuska »

Here someone has successfully used environment variables for multiple Everything instances: viewtopic.php?p=322109#p322109

27/11/2016 Added: Everything: Support named instances (Everything.exe -instance "somename"): wincmd.ini [Configuration] UseEverythingInstance=somename (32/64)
I use these settings, including envvars for portability:
Everything=%COMMANDER_TOOLS%\Taskbar\Everything\Everything.exe -admin -config %COMMANDER_TOOLS%\Taskbar\Everything\%COMPUTERNAME%.ini -instance %COMPUTERNAME% -db %COMMANDER_DRIVE%\Projects\Everything\%COMPUTERNAME%.db -startup
UseEverythingInstance=%COMPUTERNAME%

02.12.16 Added: wincmd.ini, UseEverythingInstance option now supports environment variables (32/64)
But I don't feel called to this topic... :wink:

Windows 10 Pro (x64) Version 1809 (Build 17763.437) | TC 9.22a x64/x86
☑ 'Everything'  | Everything - Version 1.4.1.940 (x64) | How to use TC <=> Everything
spikey

Post by *spikey »

Hello Tuska.

Thank you for your reply. This is getting complex and much of it is above my understanding. It would be so nice if the UseEverythingInstance entry in WINCMD.INI did all the work.

I have not heard of Pipes (except when I was learning DOS decades ago) and feel configuring them is probably tricky.
Last edited by spikey on 2019-04-24, 14:22 UTC, edited 1 time in total.