When copying from a remote connection, [Copy] dialog should treat target path the same way as for local source

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

ethidium

When copying from a remote connection, [Copy] dialog should treat target path the same way as for local source

Post by *ethidium »

When in both panels I have local directories and select some file for copying, the Copy dialog contains the full target path including the filename:
Image: https://i.imgur.com/lMG5Yef.png
This is very convenient because I can modify this path and change, for example, just the filename (i.e. copy at different name) or remove the path leaving only the filename (then the copy will be created in the same directory).

For the remote sources (like Secure FTP plugin connection for example) however behavior is different:
Image: https://i.imgur.com/ROOsuw8.png
Text field contains only the filename. So intuitively, when you're used to the logics described above, you would expect the file to be copied to the same directory by default - but in fact it will be copied to a target which is kinda "hardcoded" (only displayed in the title of the dialog but not in modifiable text field). So for example if I want to make a copy of the file in the same directory, I need first to open this directory it in the target panel. It would be great to make it consistent and include the target path in the text field.
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Re: When copying from a remote connection, [Copy] dialog should treat target path the same way as for local source

Post by *Dalai »

The issue only occurs when uploading to a remote source, be it FTP, any other file-system plugin. In your case you're download from a remote source and uploading to another remote source at the same time. Downloading from a remote source to the local file-system works just like local-to-local.

I don't know if it's possible at all, but I guess that the plugin would need to support uploading to a different directory.

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence
Ryzen 5 2600, 16 GiB RAM, ASUS Prime X370-A, Win7 x64

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror
ethidium

Re: When copying from a remote connection, [Copy] dialog should treat target path the same way as for local source

Post by *ethidium »

Well unfortunately it is only partially true. When the target panel is local FS, Copy dialog (having title Download) indeed shows the full local path - but if I remove the path in the text field and leave only filename, the copy will be still made to that target directory and not to the same directory where the file was located. So again, for example, I can't easily make a copy of the remote file in the same dir.
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

2ethidium
Just use Shift+F5, then TC will copy to current directory - also when current directory is on remote FTP site (if remote transfer is supported for the FTP server).
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
ethidium

Post by *ethidium »

Thanks @petermad, that's useful! (currently I have a custom command mapped to Shift+F5, but will definitely use this one)
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

2ethidium
The internal command is cm_CopySamepanel
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar