How to copy files from (sub)directories on one drive to the same structure on another drive?

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

lencoth

How to copy files from (sub)directories on one drive to the same structure on another drive?

Post by *lencoth »

Hi all,

Have been using TMC for years and figured some of it out on my own & most everything else by searching the forum 8)

Now I have an issue that I haven't managed to find an answer to. Without thinking, I deleted all files with a .txt extension on a disc and its (sub)directories. I have managed to find them back (phew!) hidden somewhere in the innards of a sort of recycle bin on my NAS. The (sub)directory information is still there. Now I would liketo copy i.e. X:\example\information\aname.txt to drive Y with wildcards, to avoid having to do each one manually. I'm talking about ca. 2000 files :cry:

This should be easy, I guess :? But I'm not seeing it.

Suggestions very welcome :D

Kind Regards,

Len.
Stefan2
Power Member
Power Member

Re: How to copy files from (sub)directories on one drive to the same structure on another drive?

Post by *Stefan2 »

2lencoth

Hi and welcome Len.

Me think the Packer-Plugin "TreeCopyPlus" can do that.

TreeCopyPlus 1.051
(c) Alexander Golikov aka SUKER
----------------
Packer plugin for Total Commander.
It's intended for copying/moving files with keeping of full folder tree (see examples below).
https://totalcmd.net/plugring/TreeCopyPlus.html
or http://www.ghisler.com/plugins.htm

FAQs: Installing/Removing a plugin is just this: (plus: Finding Plugins)
viewtopic.php?p=294671#p294671

Usage:
Search + Feed to listbox (or use just the current active folder or perhaps menu Commands> BranchView)
Ctrl+A
Alt+F5
Packer (o)=>[TreeCopyPlus] +++ [Configure] (how many path level?) [OK]
[OK]

HTH?
norfie²
Power Member
Power Member

Re: How to copy files from (sub)directories on one drive to the same structure on another drive?

Post by *norfie² »

Mark the most parent directory and "copy" this to the target by pressing key F5 and type a mask in "Only files of this type".
"War is evil, in so far as it makes more bad people than it takes away."
Immanuel Kant in "Perpetual Peace"
lencoth

Post by *lencoth »

Hi Stefan2 & norfie²,

Thanks for solving my problem!

Many thanks, also on behalf of my wife :P My chagrin is gone 8)

Kind Regards,

Leo.
sebadru

Post by *sebadru »

Also, without using any plugin:
You could synchronize the two drives/directories, restricting your file pattern to "*.txt" (in the middle above the two panes). It should find all the missing files in your backup and copy them back into their respective location.
Wincomuser

Post by *Wincomuser »

sebadru wrote: 2019-06-17, 23:38 UTC Also, without using any plugin:
You could synchronize the two drives/directories, restricting your file pattern to "*.txt" (in the middle above the two panes). It should find all the missing files in your backup and copy them back into their respective location.
That was my immediate thought too!