New SFTP plugin available now

Discuss and announce Total Commander plugins, addons and other useful tools here, both their usage and their development.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: New SFTP plugin available now

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

I have added support for the elliptic curve ED25519 now, both for server certificates and client certificates. For the latter, the key must be in OpenSSH format. The file starts with the following text:
-----BEGIN OPENSSH PRIVATE KEY-----

The private key may be encrypted.

The updated plugin 2.50 is now available here:
https://www.ghisler.com/plugins.htm#filesys

Both the version for Windows 7 and newer and the one for Windows XP support ED25519.

I'm using the code from https://github.com/orlp/ed25519 which is released under a very permissive "zlib License".
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
kfft

Post by *kfft »

I have tested 2.5 and it works great with ED25519 server certificate.
Thanks I had been working for this enhancement for a while.
Also note that libssh2 1.9.0 has just been released which
adds ED25519 key and host key support when using OpenSSL 1.1.1
Thanks @ghisler for your continuous support over the years.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yes, this change doesn't help me much because I use mainly the WinCNG version, and it only supports ED25519 on some newer Windows 10 versions. That's why I'm using this third party ED25519 library now for both the WinCNG and OpenSSL versions.
kholdstayr

Post by *kholdstayr »

Hello

I just tried out the SFTP plugin a couple days ago. It seems to work fine and I like it, but I have one issue I would like to mention.

When I use the plugin I have to specify the exact directory on the server that I have access to, otherwise it doesn't work. I don't have this problem with other clients, such as WinSCP.

For example, on the SFTP server I login to, I only have access to my home folder, but the home folder is not in its usual place (that is, not in /home/username). When I try to login to the server using your plugin, I see that if I don't specify a directory on the properties dialog, it automatically tries to login to the root directory. That fails with an error, because I don't have access to the root directory. Then, I see that there is a file with a link to the home directory. If I click that link, it tries to go to /home/username, which is not my home directory, so that also fails with an error.

Basically, what I am saying is, other clients (such as WinSCP) will automatically start in my home directory without having to specify what that is, but your plugin requires that I specify the directory path manually in the properties "Connect to" box.

I guess, one way of handling this might be that if the user of the plugin does not specify a directory path in the properties "connect to" box, that the plugin will not try to change directory after connecting. It should just stay in the default directory after logging in.

Thank you.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

There should be a link named
~
in the root which should bring you directly to the home folder, even if its name is different.

The problem is that the plugin uses a hierarchical directory structure in the form
\\\Secure FTP\Server name\home\pi\
but when you connect you go to
\\\Secure FTP\Server name\

So if I showed the home directory directly after logging in, you couldn't go to higher level directories any more.
I-Vladimir

Post by *I-Vladimir »

Just installed 2.5 on Win 10, 1903
SFTP plugin just kills TC activating a connection.
Thanks,

Just found event viewer error

Log Name: Application
Source: Application Error
Date: 2019-07-05 4:40:17 PM
Event ID: 1000
Task Category: (100)
Level: Error
Keywords: Classic
User: N/A
Computer: VDELL
Description:
Faulting application name: TOTALCMD64.EXE, version: 9.2.2.1, time stamp: 0x00000000
Faulting module name: libssh2.dll, version: 1.8.1.0, time stamp: 0x5d07570c
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0000000000031e84
Faulting process ID: 0x2cc4
Faulting application start time: 0x01d53371cda41b25
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\totalcmd\TOTALCMD64.EXE
Faulting module path: c:\Program Files\Totalcmd\Plugins\wfx\sftpplug\64\libssh2.dll
Report ID: a9f23d35-2e6f-4c84-ade1-7db7c9bf339d
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:
kholdstayr

Post by *kholdstayr »

ghisler(Author) wrote: 2019-07-04, 09:59 UTC There should be a link named
~
in the root which should bring you directly to the home folder, even if its name is different.

The problem is that the plugin uses a hierarchical directory structure in the form

So if I showed the home directory directly after logging in, you couldn't go to higher level directories any more.
Hello, thanks for the reply. I have tried the link named ~ but that does not work. That link just tries to go to \home\user, but that is not what my home directory is, so it fails to go to the directory. When I connect to the server it shows an empy file browser window with a [..] and and ~ links. Both of those fail to work.
blacky

Post by *blacky »

ghisler(Author) wrote: 2019-06-11, 15:00 UTC Where does it show v2.20? On the page:
https://www.ghisler.com/plugins.htm#filesys

I see this now:
SFTP
2019/06/06
thank you for the link,
and for the new Version ! :))))

by the way, i have see Progman13's proggys where have ever wrote t.m.yyyy, it's maybe better to write
program-yyyymmdd-%version%-x86+x86_64.zip to now all what it is need.
I rename mostly the whole files in this direction, this makes more easy to sort by the fs and
hold mostly the more new up or at down, like it is adjusted
in this case
wfx-sftp-20190606-2.40-x86+x86_64.zip
or
wfx-sftp-20190617-2.50-x86+x86_64.zip,

this shows in the first view, what it is.

best regards
Blacky
Meine Blackysgate.de/net
Ma' Personal licence : already one. Hab auch eine
Mein Computer : Einer/once ??? bahh, Rz/Data Centre !
Kitchen, Liv.room, TV, Schlafz.. Sch...
BS/OS: Win3.1/7, Fedora a. other, Reactos
CoolWater
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *CoolWater »

kholdstayr wrote: 2019-07-05, 22:44 UTC
ghisler(Author) wrote: 2019-07-04, 09:59 UTC There should be a link named
~

Hello, thanks for the reply. I have tried the link named ~ but that does not work. That link just tries to go to \home\user, but that is not what my home directory is, so it fails to go to the directory. When I connect to the server it shows an empy file browser window with a [..] and and ~ links. Both of those fail to work.
Please provide the log from the log window starting with:

Code: Select all

Follow link: /~
Quote: echo $HOME
It looks like echo $HOME fails. Then the plugin falls back to /home/<user>..

Regards
CoolWater
kholdstayr

Post by *kholdstayr »

That is correct, echo $HOME fails. I just tried it to double check. The server I am connecting to is not an SSH client, it is a standalone SFTP server (proftpd in Linux). When you send it echo it doesn't know what that command is.
CoolWater
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *CoolWater »

Ok, then please try following commands in TC command line while you are connected to the server:

stat -L "/~"
and

readlink -f "/~"
The output will show up in the log window.
froschlocke

Post by *froschlocke »

can't get this to work at all. Is there an tutorial how to use this? I installed the plugin (and it shows up in settings>plugins), restarted TC.
How do I establish a SFTP-connection now? should I use the regular FTP-dialog? (doen't work).
CoolWater
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *CoolWater »

Please goto network neighbourhood via drive bar. There, "Secure FTP" will show up. Use F7 to create a new connection.
chriss

Post by *chriss »

CoolWater wrote: 2019-07-11, 12:24 UTC Please goto network neighbourhood via drive bar. There, "Secure FTP" will show up. Use F7 to create a new connection.
Correct. And complicated.

I already asked in the german part if its possible to add SFTP to the Ctrl-F-Dialog.
But it seems that I need more support....

Who would support me?
gruß

chriss
CoolWater
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *CoolWater »

Indeed, for newbies, there is no clue in the GUI where to find this function. Sure, there is a readme.txt in the plugin zip archive. But since TC is able to auto-install the plugin, probably no-one actually reads the readme file...

At least in the commands menu, i'd suggest a "show installed filesystem plugins" item.

But for sure, it would make more sense to have sftp as an build-in function in ctrl-f dialog (which still could be based on the plugin to allow updates). Iirc, ghisler is allowed to ship crypt functions within the software.

Sure, FTP and SFTP has nothing in common besides the name. But from user side, it really would make sense.