[SOLVED] Copying files from Android to Windows: Nothing happens

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

yetanotherlogin

[SOLVED] Copying files from Android to Windows: Nothing happens

Post by *yetanotherlogin »

Hello,

Until my workstation is back in business, I have to use a laptop temporarily on which I installed TC.

I never had that issue on my workstation, but on that laptop, for some reason, nothing happens when I try to copy files from my Android phone to Windows (7), without any hint as to why.

OTHO, I can successfully copy files using Windows Explorer, even by drag 'n dropping them onto the target directory within TC.

Any idea what it could be?

Thank you.

Image: https://i.postimg.cc/prvb0c2P/3288-DAD4-34-DD-4-B60-90-B4-ABE9-ED0-F306-F.png

--
Edit: TC can delete the files on the Android smartphone. So it's just the copying that's not working.
Last edited by yetanotherlogin on 2019-08-04, 11:39 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
sqa_wizard
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Copying files from Android to Windows: Nothing happens

Post by *sqa_wizard »

Better use plugin Windows Media Audio 2 to handle files which indeed works with other filetypes too.
#5767 Personal license
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

I would suggest ADB plugin as more universal thing.
Wilhelm M.
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Wilhelm M. »

Still the question remains: why does it work with Windows Explorer but not with TC?
Reading all these posts here I was convinced that one must install a plugin in TC for data transfer with a Android Smartphone. I tried several plugins and none of them worked. And then I simply turned on the data transfer option on the phone, ignored all the plugins and everything was ok.
So I'm a bit sceptical about instlalling plugins without knowing the reason for a problem.
Grüße/Regards,
Wilhelm
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Copying from Android to your PC works via OLE2 (copy and paste, context menu). Most often this problem is caused by faulty or incompatible shell extensions. Does the context menu (Shift+F10) work?
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
yetanotherlogin

Wilhelm M. wrote: 2019-07-31, 08:06 UTCI tried several plugins and none of them worked. And then I simply turned on the data transfer option on the phone, ignored all the plugins and everything was ok.
What's the "data transfer option"? MTP?
Wilhelm M.
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Wilhelm M. »

Yes, MTP. If you plug in the smartphone a message is displayed on the smartphone (Android 9) asking you whether the phone shall only be loaded or data transfer shall be possible. I was not even sure that the necessary drivers are installed on my Win7, but it worked. No plugins needed.
When the connection is established you can select "Open desktop" from the commands menue in TC and there "computer". The smartphone should be visible there.
Grüße/Regards,
Wilhelm
yetanotherlogin

Thanks. After File Transfer (MTP) is enabled on the phone, it looks like I simply have to select the files with * and hit F5 twice for copying to occur. I never had that issue on my desktop computer, so it might be something on that particular laptop.