Run program from Button bar

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

norfie²
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Run program from Button bar

Post by *norfie² »

Maybe it has something to do with firewall rules for network connections?
"War is evil, in so far as it makes more bad people than it takes away."
Immanuel Kant in "Perpetual Peace"
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

It could also be caused by Windows compatibility settings - they are in the "Properties" of the context menu for the link used to start Total Commander. These compatibility settings are inherited by programs launched from Total Commander.

To check this, right click on the icon by which you start Total Commander. If you start it from a pinned Taskbar icon, you will then have to right click AGAIN, this time on the name "Total Commander" in the context menu. Then choose "Properties" and go to the tab "Compatibility". Make sure that none of the options is checked.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
d-sphinx

Post by *d-sphinx »

It could also be caused by Windows compatibility settings
Unlikely. Because it should affect all child process no matter how they launched (aren't they?).
If, suppose, any launch from TC would give an error then it may be the reason.
The mysterious thing is that only "button-clicked" launches finally yield us an error in browser (after Node.js server compilation, starting, etc..). The same server launched by the same .cmd file in navigation panel, or typed in built-in TC command prompt, or in separate CMD.EXE window works good.

So there has to be some difference in what actually happens when you run program from Button bar.
d-sphinx

Post by *d-sphinx »

Stefan2 wrote: 2019-07-30, 18:17 UTC 26.04.09 Added: wincmd.ini [Configuration] DrivesExportUpcase=1
exports paths with uppercase drive letters in functions like Mark - Copy to clipboard with full path,
and when launching programs (current dir, program name)
BINGO! :D

DrivesExportUpcase=1

You have solved the problem! Thank you!

OMG, i tried to figure out this for weeks... And this is the first time in my memory when drive's letter case matters.

Image: https://i.imgur.com/gxatsCp.png
Usher
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Usher »

d-sphinx wrote: 2019-07-31, 10:09 UTC OMG, i tried to figure out this for weeks... And this is the first time in my memory when drive's letter case matters.
It could be any letter in full path, including drive letter, filename and extension - DOS/Windows ignore letter case, Linux and other Unix-like systems DO NOT. It's a well known difference.
It looks like some of your software developers forgot about it or maybe you didn't read the docs carefully enough.
Andrzej P. Wozniak
Polish subforum moderator
d-sphinx

Post by *d-sphinx »

Usher, i know it. But i work in Windows, not Linux. And such behavior was a surprise for me. I believe that it's somehow related with React JavaScript modules but not sure. Whatever, I am glad that found the cause and TC is still my best file manager.
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

Just to clarify: The issue was the lowercase drive letter instead of the uppercase one? Then there must be a path written in NodeJS configuration that it compares to the one it runs from and act accordingly (which seems kind of broken to me when software runs on Windows).

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence
Ryzen 5 2600, 16 GiB RAM, ASUS Prime X370-A, Win7 x64

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror
Usher
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Usher »

2d-sphinx
2Dalai
I mean - it's either a bug (if the devs just ignored letter casing difference) or a feature (if they documented it somewhere in user manual or even in comments inside the source code).
Andrzej P. Wozniak
Polish subforum moderator