Total Commander no longer displaying space used by subdirectories

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

mlabuhn

Total Commander no longer displaying space used by subdirectories

Post by *mlabuhn »

One of the (many) features in Total Commander I have come to rely on is the ability to quickly show how much space a directory is taking up, using either <Space> for a single directory, or <Alt + Shift + Enter> to calculate used space for all subdirectories in the current directory.

I recently had to reinstall Windows (clean install), and since then, Total Commander no longer calculates space consumed by subdirectories. It just displays the '?', but even for small directories that should return with a value instantly, it just sits there and nothing happens. There is also no disk activity to suggest it is working on it.

I am running the latest version available right now (9.22a 64-bit, 2019-03-29). Has anyone encountered this before, and can anyone suggest what I could do to fix it, or troubleshooting steps to gather more information?

Thanks,
Marc
Stefan2
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Total Commander no longer displaying space used by subdirectories

Post by *Stefan2 »

Hi Marc and welcome.
mlabuhn wrote: 2019-08-14, 08:39 UTC reinstall Windows
To which version and build?

<Alt + Shift + Enter> should work.
<Space> only if enabled in settings > operations.

How about Ctrl+L , do that work?

You tested on the local C: drive, right?

mlabuhn

Post by *mlabuhn »

Hi Stefan.

I am running Windows 10 Professional 64-bit 1903:

Code: Select all

OS Name             : Microsoft Windows 10 Pro
OS Version          : 10.0.18362 N/A Build 18362
OS Manufacturer     : Microsoft Corporation
OS Configuration    : Standalone Workstation
OS Build Type       : Multiprocessor Free
System Type         : x64-based PC
System Locale       : en-gb;English (United Kingdom)
Hotfix(s)           : 5 Hotfix(s) Installed.,[01]: KB4506991,[02]: KB4503308,[03]: KB4506472,[04]: KB4509096,[05]:
                      KB4507453
I had a backup of the Total Commander configuration, so that did not change when I reinstalled. The setting was enabled before, and I just checked that it still is ("Calculate space occupied by subdirectories" has "when selecting with the space bar" ticked).

Neither that, nor <Alt + Shift + Enter> work, though <Ctrl + L> does indeed pop up a window showing the occupied space. I have just tried it on a directory containing a small number of files, <Ctrl + L> returns almost immediately, the other two just select the directory and show the <?> instead of the used space.

This happens on both internal drives, one an SSD (C: drive) and one an HDD (D: drive).
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

2mlabuhn
What is the setting in your wincmd.ini file for:

Code: Select all

EverythingForSize
:?:
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50b4 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
mlabuhn

Post by *mlabuhn »

I think I've solved it. I was having trouble with the BoxCryptor shell extension, which was causing Windows Explorer to crash whenever a right-click context menu was displayed.

I disabled that, but had not restarted Total Commander since. When I just tried running it with a clean slate (i.e. wincmd.ini renamed), the occupied space setting started working immediately, and now it works with my original configuration as well.

Thanks for your help!