Settings won't stick

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

CWBillow

Settings won't stick

Post by *CWBillow »

Whenever I have had to reinstall TC, I was able to copy the INI files from my backup to the new install and all the settings came with.

Now, not only are the settings not coming with, but when I change tab settings, for instance, they do not stay, even when I am Saving Position and Saving Settings.

What am I doing wrong here?

Chuck Billow
Stefan2
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Settings won't stick

Post by *Stefan2 »

CWBillow wrote: 2019-09-09, 17:31 UTC ...
What am I doing wrong here?

You have stored your INI in a write-protected folder.

Go to menu "Help > About TC..." and tell us the location of your INI file.

Also you can use cmd /c echo %commander_ini% | clip in TCs' command line box to copy that path to the clipboard.

CWBillow

Post by *CWBillow »

All my ini files are in C:\Program Files\Total Commander
as in
C:\Program Files\Total Commander\wincmd.ini

They always were / are. I do not separate settings per user since I am the one user.

Why is this not working this time as it did before? Folers and all are right where they always have been.

I even tried deleting all files in C:\Program Files\Total Commander and copying all from the backup where they did work. Then I rebooted, still not working.

I have system setup files in H:\SETUPS\.Pre-Office\.Core. So, I set up a tab for that folder. Instead, that tab gives me D:\ even after rebooting.
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

By default, users are not allowed to write to files located in %ProgramFiles% and several other directories. In other words: only administrators (or elevated users which are a member of the administrators group) are allowed to write to such directories.

If you want to use TC's settings in %ProgramFiles%\Total Commander, you have to modify NTFS permissions either to wincmd.ini (and a couple of other files), or the TC directory itself. There are probably other options, but that's what I (would) do.

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence
Ryzen 5 2600, 16 GiB RAM, ASUS Prime X370-A, Win7 x64

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror
CWBillow

Post by *CWBillow »

I am a member of the Administrators group. Additionally, I have kept the TC settings files in the TC directory all the way back to Windows 7 without issue. I was keeping them there up until today in fact without issue. I could just copy them over if I were setting up the system after rebuild.
Stefan2
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Stefan2 »

"Members of the Administrators group" have on default (since Vista and with UAC:on) only default user rights.

You have two possibilities:
- give write access (MODIFY rights) for the group USERS to that folder (\ProgFiles\TC)
- move your TC folder out side of that protected ProgramFiles directory
- EDIT: or use %AppData% to store your INI (\AppData\Roaming\GHISLER)

Or start TC as elevated admin, then that user have higher rights and so write access,
but every started process from TC have such higher rights too, so NOT recommended!

Open WinExplorer, go to "C:\Program Files\Total Commander", right click for context menu and chose "New Folder".... is that working?

CWBillow

Post by *CWBillow »

Stefan, I apologize, but I'm not understanding here.

This computer is only used by me, so security in that area is not an issue. Since I am a member of the Admin group, and as I do run TC elevated, and since I have (however misguided that may be) installed TC into the default folder ("C:\Program Files\Total Commander") always, and put all the settings files in the program folder, why now is this an issue?

What is the point of the Admin group if they only have default user rights?
CWBillow

Post by *CWBillow »

I am not at all sure as to the how or why, but I totally uninstalled TC, rebooted, and reinstalled. This time all the tabs seem to work!

On the one hand I apologize for taking up time, but on the other, I still do not know why it did not work and now it does!

Sigh...
Stefan2
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Stefan2 »

CWBillow wrote: 2019-09-09, 19:25 UTC ...

What is the point of the Admin group if they only have default user rights?

Ask Microsoft :mrgreen:

It's a newly security concept since Vista:
blogs.msdn wrote:Firstly, it's worth a brief digression into the benefits of this feature.
Running as admin is a bad thing,...
..., running as a standard user can still be a somewhat painful proposition.
Windows Vista attempts to give you the benefits of both worlds
by allowing administrators to execute most processes in the context of a standard user
and only elevating the privileges on their user token by consent, ...
https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/tims/2006/09/20/windows-vista-secret-4-disabling-uac/

CWBillow

Post by *CWBillow »

I shall! Thanks.