CX file explorer can open a series of pictures with default Photos app.

Support for Android version of Total Commander

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

pman62

CX file explorer can open a series of pictures with default Photos app.

Post by *pman62 »

Most file managers including TC can only open one jpg at a time, if you don't use the file manager's built-in image browser.

I installed CX file explorer recently, and discovered that it can call the built-in android Photos app and I can view all photos and swipe left and right.
Not just a single image.

Maybe you can take a look at CX file explorer and figure out how they're doing it.

I find it a bit annoying to use 3 different file managers to do various tasks.

Right now I use CX file explorer for image browsing,
ES file explorer for media player streaming over LAN. For some reason, TC media player bugs out and stops playing mp3 over LAN.
Mixplorer for smb 2.0 transfers.

I wish one file manager did it all sufficiently.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: CX file explorer can open a series of pictures with default Photos app.

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Thanks for the hint, I will check it. I'm not aware of any function to do this, so I'm really curious how it is done.

1. How do you open the image from CX?
2. Are you sure it doesn't open its own image viewer?
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
sweetbox

Post by *sweetbox »

Is that an image viewer app's function?
I tried the CX file explorer.Is the image view itself the builtin function?Because I disabled the system gallery app and CX didn't call my image view app "quickpic".
I use TC and quickpic.When I open a picture in TC,TC will give it to quickpic,and the function you mentioned is also working with quickpic.I can swipe left and right to view all pictures in that folder which one that I click the picture in the TC.
Maybe that's what I set default image view app in the first place the first time you click an image and android asks you to choose one app as a time or as default.

So,I didn't understand your request at first. :roll:
Because the function I already can do with TC and quickpic.
But I think you are asking some function about the built-in image view of TC.

Just clean the default image view app setting.
And it seems TC don't have image view?I mean like opening images full screen.
Because there's no TC to choose for when android asks for which app you would like to open an image.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

I have installed CX file explorer now, and indeed it opens images with its own viewer. You can verify that via Android task manager.

It wouldn't be too difficult to build my own image viewer for TC, but many phones support special formats (e.g. HEIF) which can't be shown easily with Android functions.
mrle

Post by *mrle »

ghisler(Author) wrote: 2019-10-04, 06:30 UTC It wouldn't be too difficult to build my own image viewer for TC...
This would be especially useful for "Android TV" OS (for TV boxes), because there is no a normal and simple image viewer that can run under "Android TV".
Han_ictern

Post by *Han_ictern »

The point in the post of pman62 is exactly where I am looking for.
I just tried CX-File-Explorer, it works fine but it would be awesome to scroll pictures within a folder in TC.
Is there any chance this possibility - only for jpg's will do for me - will be created in future releases of TC for Android?
Best regards!
Renderking

Post by *Renderking »

Hi,

I had the same problem.
On my old phone I already used TC and Quickpic together.
I simply could select an image in TC and once it was opened by Quickpic I could browse through all the images of that same folder.

A month ago I switched to a new phone with new Android version, which asked what app I want to use to open the image I just selected in TC. Once I choose Quickpic again and also said it should always use it, the one image I selected was displayed. When swiping left and right the image would move, but no other image was shown. Similar with other image viewers.

Then I found the solution: :D

I configured a custom file association in TC.
The only trick is that you have to do it for each file type and very importantly, contrary to the options describtion, you have to disable Parameters: content://url!

I also disabled any Default app association from Android, but I'm not sure if this is necessary.

I first tried the Open with contex menu command first, which has an option on top to also provide the image files URL. This is also working, but only once and not as permanent solution. You would have to select that every time.

So, I hope this helps every one with the same issue. :wink:

Greetings,
Jan
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Currently this method still works because Quickpic still accepts file: URLs. But Google tries to kill them, so with the next API version 30 required for apps by the end of the year, it will not be possible any more.