FTP background upload/download message problem???

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

ukrainian7

FTP background upload/download message problem???

Post by *ukrainian7 »

Hi, I'm from Bulgariq and my english is not well. I use TC 6.03.
When I switch on "All uploads/downloads in background" and if there is ERROR "Transfer failed, continue operation?" there is nowhere show the code of error or what is the error, even in the log file.

Example:
On the FTP servet I want to upload there is no free space. When the "All uploads/downloads in background" is checked on error it shows the window with "Transfer failed, continue operation?", but on the background window isn't dysplay why is this error, only this: 257"....(the dir where is upload)". When I switch off "All uploads/downloads in background" it is write: "452 Error writing file: Nospace left on device"
How can I get this message or ather when there is error, when on the FTP mode is switch on "All uploads/downloads in background".
Thank in advance, and sorry for the bad english.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Unfortunately you cannot show the error in this case (if it isn't shown in the background thread window).
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
ukrainian7

Post by *ukrainian7 »

Yes Unfortunately I cannot show screenshot of this message. I will try to explain how the windows look like:
Now in the background thread windopws you display a progress bar and above it there is label(Delphi label for example) on which you display the transfered bytes, speed and the rest time. When the FTP server returns me a ERROR it's show me a message box "Transfer failed, continue operation?". In this case on this label is written only the ftp code 257 (which is: "PATHNAME" created) and the full path of dir where a try to upload, but trere is nowhere a message why the transfer failed. I think on this label it must be written exactly this(why it failed). When TC is not on upload/download background mode on the progress window when ERROR occured is written the code of error and what it means.
I hope now you can understand my problem.

edit: sorry I fix that when a upload a directory on the label is written the error message:452 "Error writing file: Success", but when I upload only a file or files on the label is written : 257 "/dir1/dir1" is current directory. I mean when occured an error and is shown message box "Transfer failed, continue operation?"
I'm sure that the error every time is the same, because I tryed with another FTP client(CuteFTP) and there aways the Error message was the same: 452 No free spase on device or something of this.
Why there are two different lebales on the same return error message from server??
Sheepdog
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sheepdog »

ukrainian7 wrote:Why there are two different lebales on the same return error message from server??
Probably there fail two different operations for the same reason: No sufficient disk space.

One time the storing of the file failes, the second time the creating of the subdir failes.

Its just a guess according the labels you mentioned.

sheepdog
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something
completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
Douglas Adams
ukrainian7

Post by *ukrainian7 »

Yes, it must be but how can it failed on creating subdir, when the transfer is on progress and it's on 56% for example , and even this it says 275 'dir1/dir2" is curent directoty. I cannot understand this.
Sheepdog
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sheepdog »

ukrainian7 wrote:but how can it failed on creating subdir, when the transfer is on progress and it's on 56% for example , and even this it says 275 'dir1/dir2" is curent directoty.
I'm not familiar with FTP-Servers. But to create a subdir you need disk space as well as for copying files. The entry on the FAT (or whatever equivalent on different Operating System) requires a block of diskspace. So maybe TC tries to create 'dir1/dir3' and it failes or it just tries to create 'dir1/dir2' and that one failes and the 'current directory' message is a bit misleading.

You can see wich case is true if you establish another connection to the FTP server and let display the concerned directory.

sheepdog
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something
completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
Douglas Adams