How do I remove folder link without deleting contents?

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

MrMcGoo

How do I remove folder link without deleting contents?

Post by *MrMcGoo »

I selected a folder in TC and used C-S-F5 to create a link to it as a subfolder in another folder.

Now that other folder shows that folder in it as if it is in both the original place and also in the place I created the link.

How do I remove that link in the other folder so it undoes that operation?

I have to be very careful here. I don’t want to delete anything in the folder the link points to or its subfolders so I didn’t want to just delete the folder in the new location because I was afraid it would delete its contents.

Also, what I was hoping this operation would do is create a .lnk shortcut file to that folder so that when I click on that link it will open that folder *IN TC* instead of in Windows File Explorer. Unfortunately it didn’t. Is there any way to do that without editing the registry?
MrMcGoo

Re: How do I remove folder link without deleting contents?

Post by *MrMcGoo »

Okay I solved it. I opened up the folder containing the created folder link in Windows explorer and found that that link is actually just a shortcut. So I deleted the shortcut in Explorer and the folder link is gone.

I also noticed that I could right click on the folder link in TC and look at the properties to see it is a link and not an actual folder.

But it seems to me that TC should show an icon that identifies it as a link and not a folder like Explorer does. Otherwise I can't tell by looking at it that it isn't an actual folder.

I still do not know how to create a .lnk file to a folder that opens in TC without changing the registry. So if anyone knows how this can be done (or that it cannot be done), please let me know.

I'm using Windows 10 Pro x64
Usher
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Usher »

There is NOTHING to do in Windows registry in this case. It seems you should work more carefully. TC clearly displays lnk extension when you press Ctrl+Shift+F5. And if you want to see overlay with a small arrow on the shortcut (lnk) icon, just properly set options for icons in TC configuration.
Andrzej P. Wozniak
Polish subforum moderator
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

I don't understand why you've got problem in LNK file detection because it looks like a file, not folder, and it has LNK extension and...

And, please don't call shortcuts (LNK files) as folder links, folder links are symbolic links or junctions, but not stupid shortcut files. Folder links show target location transparently when you enter them. These are clearly visible in TC too (special icon).
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

These are clearly visible in TC too (special icon).
And folder links are marked <LNK> in the Size column.
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50b4 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar