Need help. A hotkey for "select all"

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

xprion

Need help. A hotkey for "select all"

Post by *xprion »

Hello, I had been using the "WinM" file manager for a long time but it has long been dumped without updates so I am trying to switch to other programs. (It's very famous in South Korea)

I am changing hotkeys for my preference but I found one thing I can't change. In the "WinM" software (sorry for keep mentioning other software here), the function for "select all" is very simple and easy to understand.

If I press Alt+U, it selects all files except folders
If I press Alt+U again, it selects all files including folders
If I press Alt+U again, it unselect all files and folders
Pressing ESC anytime unselects all files and folders
Pressing the Space bar selects one file and go to the next file (I have solved this issue by adding "SpaceMovesDown=1" in Wincmd.ini)

This software was originally developed as the "Mdir III" under MS-DOS environment, (like the Norton Command) so it's supposed to do all tasks without mouse input.

I find using different hotkeys for "select all" very annoying.
Is there any way to change the setting like that? Thanks.
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Need help. A hotkey for "select all"

Post by *MVV »

Sorry, you can't use a single shortcut for selecting only files or files+folders in different situations, in TC there are different commands for that.
I've used NC in DOS times, then switched to TC, so I tweaked it and use Num* for inverting files, Shift+Num* for inverting files+folders, Ctrl+Num+ for selecting all files and Ctrl+Shift+Num+ for selecting everything, and for me your scheme would be quite unusual. :)
xprion

Post by *xprion »

I need to learn more about this program. I am switching to TC anyway. Thanks for replying.
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

2xprion
You can set up TC to either select both folders and files or just files in "Configuration" -> "Options..." -> "Operation" -> "Selection (with Num+)".

If setup to only select files - pressing Ctrl+Num+ (the + on the numeric keypad) selects all files, and Ctrl+Shift+Num+ selects both files and folders.
If setup to select both files and folders - pressing Ctrl+Num+ (the + on the numeric keypad) selects both files and folders, and Ctrl+Shift+Num+ selects only files.

This uses the internal command: cm_SelectAll
There is also a command for always only selecting files: cm_SelectAllFiles
There is also a command for always only selecting folders: cm_SelectAllFolders
There is also a command for always selecting both files and folders (despite the configuration): cm_SelectAllBoth

Shortcut Keys can be assigned via "Configuration" -> "Options..." -> "Misc." -> "Redifine hotkeys (Keyboard remapping)"

In my extended menu - see signature below - you can find much more selection options under the menu item "Mark"
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50b4 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar