File renaming problem in VeraCrypt container

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

ctc

File renaming problem in VeraCrypt container

Post by *ctc »

I am having some problems renaming files inside a VeraCrypt-encrypted container. For example, I would like to rename the file:

"Energy And Mass In Relativity Theory"

so that it becomes

"Energy and Mass in Relativity Theory"

1. The renaming fails when I try to rename it directly (by double-clicking the filename or by using the right-click menu, then selecting Rename). It also fails when I use the Multi-Rename Tool.

2. Direct renaming works if I make an additional change to the filename, e.g. if I create another space anywhere in the filename, e.g. between "In" and "Relativity", or if I insert another word into the filename.

Note: The renaming (whether direct renaming or through Multi-Rename Tool) works fine in any folder outside a VeraCrypt-encrypted container.

I searched the Forum but could not find any relevant info. Apologies if I somehow missed the relevant posts.

Does anyone have the same problem? Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Re: File renaming problem in VeraCrypt container

Post by *Dalai »

Does it work in Explorer and/or other file managers? If not, it's probably an issue with VeraCrypt. If it works, it could be a bug in TC.

[EDIT] Typo [/EDIT]

Regards
Dalai
Last edited by Dalai on 2019-10-20, 13:14 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
#101164 Personal licence
Ryzen 5 2600, 16 GiB RAM, ASUS Prime X370-A, Win7 x64

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror
ctc

Post by *ctc »

Dalai, thank you very much for your suggestion. I just tried Explorer. It behaves in the same way as I described in my original post so it has the same problem. I checked further using two file managers (Multi Commander 64-bit and Free Commander XE 32-bit) that I seldom use and found that they also have the same problem. It looks like it is a problem with VeraCrypt and not with TC.
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

Is there a newer version of VeraCrypt available, or did you try an older release? Maybe also search for known issues of VeraCrypt.

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence
Ryzen 5 2600, 16 GiB RAM, ASUS Prime X370-A, Win7 x64

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror
ctc

Post by *ctc »

I am using the latest version of VeraCrypt (v1.24, 6 Oct 2019). Same problem occurred when I used the previous version 1.23. I could not find any posts/articles on this issue on the VeraCrypt site and elsewhere, so I decided to ask for help/comments on the VeraCrypt forum.

Thanks again.