Sorting results in Search panel

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

wanderer
Power Member
Power Member

Sorting results in Search panel

Post by *wanderer »

I understand that when you search for a text in multiple file extensions, TC sorts results by extension (perhaps because that's my default sorting in the file panel too?). Is there a way to sort the results by name?
- Wanderer -

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
Normally using latest TC on:
x32: WinXPx32 SP3
x64: Clients/Servers from Win7 to Win11 and Win2K12Srv to Win2K22Srv, mainly Win10 though.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Sorting results in Search panel

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

No, they are sorted in the same way as in the file panel which was active before you opened the search dialog.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
nsp
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *nsp »

wanderer wrote: 2019-10-21, 14:25 UTC I understand that when you search for a text in multiple file extensions, TC sorts results by extension (perhaps because that's my default sorting in the file panel too?). Is there a way to sort the results by name?
The result is dynamically populated and use original order. In any case you will have to wait until end to get a valid sort.
The easiest way is to populate a listbox and then sort as you want even using a custom view mode to have all the fields you need (specially for recursive folder lookup as name is not name in this case)..
wanderer
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *wanderer »

Just what i suspected. So, the panel is sorted "by name" before starting the search, the results will also be "by name".

Yup, just tried it and it works perfectly (also sorts by full name - including path, which is what i needed).

Thanks.
- Wanderer -

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
Normally using latest TC on:
x32: WinXPx32 SP3
x64: Clients/Servers from Win7 to Win11 and Win2K12Srv to Win2K22Srv, mainly Win10 though.