Can't search through the OneDrive folder

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

italianoleone

Can't search through the OneDrive folder

Post by *italianoleone »

Hello,

If I run ALT+F7 (Find Files) in the "c:\Users\italianoleone\" folder with the "search in subdirectories" option turned on, I don't get any results from the "c:\Users\italianoleone\OneDrive\" subfolder.

I noticed that the OneDrive folder icon is displayed as a shortcut in TC although its folder properties say that it's a File Folder Type just like any other folder on my laptop.

How can I make TC search through the OneDrive subfolder? Workaround at the moment is to run two searches; first in the "c:\Users\italianoleone\" folder and the second search in the "c:\Users\italianoleone\Onedrive" folder.

Many thanks
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Can't search through the OneDrive folder

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

You will have to wait for TC 9.50. Microsoft changed the behaviour of the OneDrive folder with almost every release of Windows 10, it's a real mess.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
italianoleone

Post by *italianoleone »

Thanks, that's good news.
lgb-this

Post by *lgb-this »

I run Win10 1903 with the current beta 9.50b2 of TotalCmd. I can't search files in my Onedrive root and deeper.

Any idea ?
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Strange, it works here. Do you use the "Files on demand" option in the OneDrive settings?
lgb-this

Post by *lgb-this »

Correct. The option "files on demand" is enabled. TotalCommander does not go into the OneDrive directories during a search. The directories of each sync shows the symbol like a link. The settings of this link shows as type "directory".
lgb-this

Post by *lgb-this »

No change with Beta3. The file-search does not work in my OneDrive root. If i go one step into a sync directory of OneDrive, the file-search works fine.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unfortunately none of my PCs has these strange OneDrive links any more. Therefore I have added logging functions so I can analyze your problems.
Please go to menu Configuration - Options - Logging and enable a log file. Then try to search. Finally, please post the lines concerning OneDrive here:

They will look like this:
03.11.2019 12:43:06: Copy(Error: failed): IsOneDriveReparsePointW: other reparse tag = -1610612733 -> c:\checked_path
lgb-this

Post by *lgb-this »

I get a file TmdDE60.tmp. This file seems to be binary. How can i convert this file into text ?
lgb-this

Post by *lgb-this »

Hier der Log-Auszug:

Code: Select all

05.11.2019 08:30:54: Kopieren(Fehler: Fehlgeschlagen): IsOneDriveReparsePointW: onedrivepath -> C:\Users\MAMA\OneDrive\
05.11.2019 08:30:54: Kopieren(Fehler: Fehlgeschlagen): IsOneDriveReparsePointW: not in onedrive path -> d:\OneDrive\OneDrive - RSRG
05.11.2019 08:30:55: Kopieren(Fehler: Fehlgeschlagen): IsOneDriveReparsePointW: not in onedrive path -> d:\OneDrive\RSRG\Alice - Dokumente
lgb-this

Post by *lgb-this »

Test with new Beta 4 - search in OneDrive still not possible.

Code: Select all

09.11.2019 08:16:27: Kopieren(Fehler: Fehlgeschlagen): IsOneDriveReparsePointW: not in onedrive path -> d:\OneDrive\OneDrive - RSRG
09.11.2019 08:16:27: Kopieren(Fehler: Fehlgeschlagen): IsOneDriveReparsePointW: not in onedrive path -> d:\OneDrive\RSRG\Alice - Dokumente
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

You seem to have multiple onedrive folders. TC looks in the registry where OneDrive is, and ignores links there if they cannot be opened.
So do links in c:\Users\MAMA\OneDrive\ work?
And how do you have additional folder d:\OneDrive\? Is it linked from c:\Users\MAMA\OneDrive?
lgb-this

Post by *lgb-this »

We have a private OneDrive (called OneDrive RSRG in the pic below) and a business OneDrive (called RSRG).

Image: http://www.beathis.ch/r/sharepoint_expl.jpg (only link, pic not directly visible here)

Every sync in our SharePoint creates an individual entry point in the OneDrive for Business section.

I changed the main path of OneDrive to drive D. It seems, that there is still an old path with the original drive C in my registry.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

The problem is how to recognize these fake file system links made by OneDrive from real reparse points:
1. On older Windows 10 versions, I could open them with CreateFile and flags FILE_FLAG_BACKUP_SEMANTICS or FILE_FLAG_OPEN_REPARSE_POINT and then read their content with DeviceIoControl(...,FSCTL_GET_REPARSE_POINT,...). I could then check the ReparseTag field to know whether they are real reparse points, or fake OneDrive.

2. On newer Windows 10 versions, DeviceIoControl(...,FSCTL_GET_REPARSE_POINT,...) fails with error 4390, which means error_not_a_reparse_point. If I get this error, I check whether the fake file system link is within the OneDrive folder, and if yes, I wollow it. I could always follow it if I get error 4390, but I fear that some other reparse points could also cause such an error.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

This should be fixed since beta 10, can someone test this please?
17.12.19 Fixed: Show fake OneDrive reparse points as <DIR> instead of <LNK>, by checking with FindFirstFile whether the value of dwReserved0 equals one of the cloud values 0x9000101A..0x9000F01A (32/64)
This should make the OneDrive folder appear as a directory instead of a link, making search work inside.