TC 9.5b3 Dark mode: no focus for Delete confirmation MsgBox

The behaviour described in the bug report is either by design, or would be far too complex/time-consuming to be changed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

EricB

TC 9.5b3 Dark mode: no focus for Delete confirmation MsgBox

Post by *EricB »

When in Dark Mode, and deleting a file or folder, the deletion confirmation messagebox does not get the focus. This works fine in "normal" color mode. I've set my mouse settings in Control Panel to move the pointer to the default button in a dialogue box.

Used TC 9.50 Beta 3 x32 on Win10 x64 1903 and on Win10 x64 Pro 1803.

Note: this behaviour was already present in Beta 1 and Beta 2.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: TC 9.5b3 Dark mode: no focus for Delete confirmation MsgBox

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Sorry, cannot reproduce. Do you mean the button doesn't have the focus, or the entire dialog box? I mean, can you use the Tab key to switch to the right button?
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
EricB

Post by *EricB »

I have to restate indeed: the dialog gets the focus (I see the default button being highlighted) but the mouse pointer stays where it already was. In "light" mode it is placed onto the default button in the dialog.

It does not matter if I use Del or Shift-Del.
Usher
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Usher »

2EricB
The mouse pointer stays where it already was also in normal (light) mode. Tested in Windows XP on TC 9.22a and current beta. Maybe it's something in your mouse driver settings?
Andrzej P. Wozniak
Polish subforum moderator
EricB

Post by *EricB »

2Usher
I've set my mouse properties in Control panel as such that the pointer will always move to the default button in an active dialogue. Works throughout any app, and also for TC in light mode for delete dialogue, but not in dark mode. I'm using Win 10 currently, but I've also done this in the past for XP.

Regards, EricB
Usher
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Usher »

2EricB
I changed my mouse settings and retested both modes. Now I can confirm your observations. In the worst case the pointer should be set at the centre of the dialog window, as described in Windows help.

Some problems with mouse navigation in dark mode are described in HISTORY.TXT, but there were also reported bugs for mouse hover and scroll in dark mode.
Andrzej P. Wozniak
Polish subforum moderator
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Moving the mouse pointer on a button only seems to work with the Windows MessageBox() function. However, this function does not support dark mode. Therefore I have to create my own Delphi/Lazarus form. This is like all the other complex dialog boxes in TC, e.g. "F5 copy" dialog, "Configuration - Options" dialog or "Find files" dialog. Does the mouse cursor get on the default button in these? Probably not.
EricB

Post by *EricB »

2Ghisler
You are absolutely right. F5 and F6 dialog boxes do not move the mouse to the default button, in both light and dark mode. This did never bother me though, since the Copy to (or Move to) text field gets focus and if needed I start typing directly and then used Enter to confirm. Same story for Find files: the "Search for" text field has focus and I can start typing right away.

I do hardly ever use Configuration - Options, since I have PeterMad's menu installed, which has separate entries for every configuration submenu.

Why is the F8 dialog so different? Probably because it has no typing fields.... In pre-9.50 I could immediately click without moving the mouse and be done with it, which is the fastest way if you are a mixed mouse/keyboard user like me. Now I probably have to get used to using the "Enter" key or move the mouse to the right position.

Regards, EricB
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

The normal not dark delete confirmation uses a single Windows function: MessageBox. It seems that the mouse software recognizes this dialog style and places the cursor on the default button. This probably also works with other Windows dialogs like the background progress dialog, but not with Delphi forms like all other dialogs.