How to remove dublicates? Topic #infinity

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

tasuketekudasai

How to remove dublicates? Topic #infinity

Post by *tasuketekudasai »

I know on this forum lots of these questions since 2004. And i know, Ghisler said he doesn't know what method choose to select duplicates that's why we still have no(?) opportunity to remove duplicates automatically.

Anyway. Look at my pic. Do you really think i'm care what of these duplicates will be deleted? Just give me solution how to delete all duplicates. I don't care which will be deleted. I just want to keep only original files without repeats.
Spoiler
milo1012
Power Member
Power Member

Re: How to remove dublicates? Topic #infinity

Post by *milo1012 »

Numpad+
F8
TC plugins: PCREsearch and RegXtract
ts4242
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *ts4242 »

2tasuketekudasai
1. Open Find dialog (Alt+F7)
2. Search for *.mp4 or whatever, in advanced tab check Find duplicate files
3. After searching complete press Feed to listbox button
4. Press Num +
5. In Select duplicate files dialog make your favorite choices
6. Press F8 to delete
Usher
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Usher »

2milo1012 2ts4242
It's a joke, isn't it? There is no possibility to make wildcard selection for files listed on the picture. In this case the only way to remove duplicates I know is to repeat pressing Insert and Down for all pairs found. Read explanations below, please.

2tasuketekudasai
I'm afraid you should really delete all listed videoplayback files. It looks like you have watched the same video two times in your browser and now you can see pairs of MPEG DASH segments in the browser cache. They aren't numbered in a proper order so you can't watch them one after one as a single movie. What is more, some of them may contain only video or audio stream.
You should use some youtube/video downloader which can download audio and video MPEG DASH segments listed in *.m3u playlist, then merge and mux them into a single mp4 file.

There is no general solution for removing duplicates: some people want to keep files with lower numbers or with older timestamps, some other prefer to keep files with specific names or from specific directory. If you can't decide which approach is better or if you just don't bother, you can use DFHL (Duplicate File Hard Linker) which replaces duplicates with links. I'm pretty sure there are more similar tools mentioned in the old topics you have found and browsed so far in this forum, but only you know which one is better for your needs.
Andrzej P. Wozniak
Polish subforum moderator
milo1012
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *milo1012 »

2Usher
It seems that you're not aware of that special selection dialog when in the "found files" window after searching for duplicates:
https://i.imgur.com/d1a9ZIx.png
I would appreciate it if you try these things for yourself before posting.
TC plugins: PCREsearch and RegXtract
tasuketekudasai

ts4242 wrote: 2019-11-16, 18:49 UTC 2tasuketekudasai
1. Open Find dialog (Alt+F7)
2. Search for *.mp4 or whatever, in advanced tab check Find duplicate files
3. After searching complete press Feed to listbox button
4. Press Num +
5. In Select duplicate files dialog make your favorite choices
6. Press F8 to delete
milo1012 wrote: 2019-11-16, 17:52 UTC Numpad+
F8
Hi guys. I use laptop and have no numpad. What does this button mean? Tell me i will change for another one and will try your method.

Usher wrote: 2019-11-16, 19:38 UTC 2tasuketekudasai
I'm afraid you should really delete all listed videoplayback files. It looks like you have watched the same video two times in your browser
I dunno why you wrote this coz my question was about removing duplicates. This is not playlist or somethings. Just duplicates of files and i want to remove duplicates. And i don't care which: i need to keep only one file in each pairs coz they are the same. Why should i think about numbers? I don't care. Ghisler said 15 years ago he didn't know solution coz different people want different files to keep. Okay. But why we have (or have?) no option to delete random (or every first or every second or any whatever) file in these groups of duplicates? I mean we have nothing now except our hands. I prefer to have matches instead of sit in the dark and wait for electricity.
Shosho

Post by *Shosho »

Hi guys. I use laptop and have no numpad. What does this button mean? Tell me i will change for another one and will try your method.
Make a button with the following command cm_SpreadSelection. It will be exactly the same as Numpad+ from the keyboard.
tasuketekudasai

Thanks. It helped.
Usher
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Usher »

tasuketekudasai wrote: 2019-11-18, 04:01 UTC Hi guys. I use laptop and have no numpad. What does this button mean? Tell me i will change for another one and will try your method.
Look at "Mark" menu: "Num +" is "Select group", the very first item there. Or create and use buttons as suggested in another message, though it won't be much faster than pressing Alt+M, Enter, I think.
tasuketekudasai wrote: 2019-11-18, 04:01 UTC
Usher wrote: 2019-11-16, 19:38 UTC 2tasuketekudasai
I'm afraid you should really delete all listed videoplayback files. It looks like you have watched the same video two times in your browser
I dunno why you wrote this coz my question was about removing duplicates.
It is just a reminder that deduplicating of this very special kind of files (small videoplayback*.mp4) is a waste of time in most cases. They contain unuseful trash and may be all deleted.
Of course your question may be valid in many other cases.
Andrzej P. Wozniak
Usher
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Usher »

milo1012 wrote: 2019-11-16, 19:51 UTCI would appreciate it if you try these things for yourself before posting.
You are right, it works as I'd like to, but it's hidden in TC Help. Explanations are linked only from "Selecting files" page - it contains one line remark which is easy to overlook. They should be linked also on "Find files: Advanced" page in "Find duplicate files" section.

I misunderstood your suggestion. I was thinking you want to delete all files with no exclusion. I did stop using IE long time ago and never tested this TC feature so I forgot it - in my case links are preferred. What is more, in this topic I was focused on videoplayback files - for those files my explanations about MPEG DASH may be more useful then removing duplicates.
Andrzej P. Wozniak
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

They should be linked also on "Find files: Advanced" page in "Find duplicate files" section
I totally agree - the "Select duplicate files" function is the most hidden feature in TC.
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50b4 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar