Creating Shortcuts with Original Extension

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

jb

Post by *jb »

Sticky wrote:But, even if it's that easy to change, it still shouldn't be "default". Why change things up unecessarily for the users who are currently satisfied--like me and black dog?
Actually you say that the initial default should not be changed without urgent reasons, because compatibility comes first, or to put it in other words, compatibility is a sacred cow.
That goes without saying for libraries (programming interfaces). So why not for user interfaces? At least it seems to be Mr. Ghisler's policy if you look at his reaction (or rather non-reaction :wink:) to my suggestion "Show TC's beauty & power by default – Config Schemes".
On the other hand I think that user interfaces are different than programming interfaces because user interfaces should be as easy and convenient as possible for the majority of users including the novices. For experienced users it's nothing to change the default back to the behaviour of a previous version.
But anyway the proposed TC configuration schemes such as "TC 6.5 Scheme" or "TC Classic Scheme" would satisfy all needs.
adamamiga

Re: Creating Shortcuts with Original Extension

Post by *adamamiga »

I was going to post something new but came across this very old thread. The default of dropping the extension when creating a shortcut is inconvenient. It is quite possible that I have to files with the same name but different extensions. Let's say I have a Word file called "HelloWorld.docx" and I've also created a PDF from that file called "HelloWorld.pdf". If I want to create shortcuts to both these files, there will be a conflict as Total Commander will try to call both the same thing, which is "HelloWorld.lnk".

The workaround is to insert an asterisk when creating the extension, but this is tedious to navigate to within the path and do this. It would be much nicer if TC created files called "HelloWorld.doc.lnk" and "HelloWorld.pdf.lnk".
tuska
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *tuska »

adamamiga wrote: 2019-11-19, 08:52 UTC It would be much nicer if TC created files called "HelloWorld.doc.lnk" and "HelloWorld.pdf.lnk".
wincmd.ini

Code: Select all

[Configuration]
AppendLnk=1
F1 - Help
Search for: AppendLnk=
to see more options.
HISTORY.TXT
27.04.12 Release Total Commander 8.0 release candidate 1 (32/64)
24.04.12 Added: AppendLnk ini option: New value 2 (now the default) sets the behaviour described below.
              Set to 0 for behaviour as in TC7.x (32/64)
24.04.12 Fixed: When creating *.lnk files, do not truncate directory names after last dot,
              e.g. directory.ext -> directory.ext.lnk (32/64)
HISTORY.TXT
11.07.06 Release Total Commander 7.0a7 (alpha test version 7)
07.06.06 Added: wincmd.ini [Configuration] AppendLnk=1
              -> TC creates lnk file names in the form file.ext.lnk instead of file.lnk (Ctrl+Shift+F5)
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

Or as described in the help:
AppendLnk=2 Link files (*.lnk) will be created as follows:
0: file.ext -> file.lnk
1: file.ext -> file.ext.lnk
2: like 0 for files, 1 for directories
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50b4 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
adamamiga

Post by *adamamiga »

Wow! Thank you very much! Thank you, Ghisler, for adding that option. And thanks tuska and petermad for finding this thread and posting the solution.