English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Include TC installer in TC

Post by *Dalai »

2ghisler(Author)
Well, I agree (and can confirm that administrators rarely want employees to update any program, and for good reasons). However, you could install the installer as an option, and if it's not installed TC opens the download page, like it is currently. This should make both sides happy, don't you think?

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence
Ryzen 5 2600, 16 GiB RAM, ASUS Prime X370-A, Win7 x64

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

Just like TCMADM64.EXE runs elevated the installer could also be run elevated - in that way employes, who usualy don't have administrator rights cannot install the update.
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50b4 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
Olfert

Post by *Olfert »

This, in my opinion and definition, is more a "nice to have" than "need to have" feature... Really - how often do you need such a feature? It's not that we are overwhelmed by updates (apart from the beta's). Keep Total Commander clean, mean and sleek and don't add unnecessary code because we are too lazy. I for one love to be in total control of updates :)
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

2petermad
That wouldn't work. Since TC can be installed by users, its installer does not ask for administrator privileges (and its manifest tells Windows to run it "asInvoker"). So the same would apply to an installer/updater installed alongside TC.

2Olfert
I agree on the "nice to have" part.

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence
Ryzen 5 2600, 16 GiB RAM, ASUS Prime X370-A, Win7 x64

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

Olfert,
I for one love to be in total control of updates
Well, you could still go to the homepage and download the full installation package by yourself, that wouldn't change.

Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.