Transferring files from Vista to Win10

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Robert Bull

Transferring files from Vista to Win10

Post by *Robert Bull »

I am, very late in the day, starting to move from a laptop running Vista Home Premium, 32-bit, to a new one running Windows 10 Professional, 64-bit. I've been trying to use a cable as mentioned in TC Help and as stated in the 'Supported cables for USB cable connection' page https://www.ghisler.com/cables/index.htm , but both ends stubbornly won't connect. I have one of the correct cables, Belkin F5U258ea.

I've Googled enough to know that Microsoft dropped Windows Easy Transfer from Windows 10. Is that why the two machines won't connect, despite both having copies of winusb.dll, assuming that's even relevant?
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Transferring files from Vista to Win10

Post by *petermad »

Is that why the two machines won't connect
I can still transfer with my Belkin USB cable between Windows 10 1909 and Windows 7.

It is actually my cable on image 3 on https://www.ghisler.com/cables/index.htm

I think that it is not Windows 10 that is the problem but your Windows Vista. AFAIK Windows Vista does not come with the Easy transfer software - try and download it here: https://download.cnet.com/Windows-Easy-Transfer-for-Vista-32-Bit/3000-18511_4-10972789.html
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50b4 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Have you tried the "test" option instead of "client" and "server"?
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Robert Bull

Post by *Robert Bull »

petermad wrote: 2019-11-28, 01:56 UTC I can still transfer with my Belkin USB cable between Windows 10 1909 and Windows 7.
That's the cable I have too.
petermad wrote: 2019-11-28, 01:56 UTC AFAIK Windows Vista does not come with the Easy transfer software
My cable came with a mini-disk labelled 'Easy Transfer Cable for Windows Vista Application Software', though it's all ascribed to Belkin, not Microsoft. When I tried running EasyTransferCable.exe, it popped up a window saying:

'With Windows Vista, you don't need to install any software because the Belkin Easy Transfer Cable is plug and play.'

Exactly the same message, including the wording "Vista," on Windows 10.

I have a query about the cable. The box in the centre has an indicator light on it, and it never lights up for me. I wasn't sure if this meant that the cable itself was dead. 'TC endorsed' cables are hard to find in the UK and I had to buy mine second-hand. On the other hand, it could be meant to light up only at times when data transfer is taking place. Please could you confirm which interpretation is correct? I didn't want to go hunting for another cable if the problem lay elsewhere.

Most of the other transfer cables I've seen advertised want you to use their own proprietary software, so probably aren't suitable for TC.
Robert Bull

Post by *Robert Bull »

ghisler(Author) wrote: 2019-11-28, 11:13 UTC Have you tried the "test" option instead of "client" and "server"?
I have now; I get 'USB: Connect failed!'

It's possible my cable may itself be faulty, see above.

Incidentally, the tests were made when I was logged in as Administrator rather than user, which I think is compulsory.
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

2Robert Bull
On the other hand, it could be meant to light up only at times when data transfer is taking place.
That's correct.

Here is what I do:
1: I have TC running on both PC's
1. I plug the cable into a USB port on my Window 7 PC (would be your Vista) - I hear the device connected ding-dong sound
2. I plug the cable into a USB port on my Window 10 PC - I hear the device connected pling-plong-pling sound on my Windows 10 PC
3. On the Windows 7 PC in TC I click "Net" -> "PORT Connection To Other PC..." -> "Server" - A blank window titled "USB" opens
4. On the Windows 10 PC in TC I click "Net" -> "PORT Connection To Other PC..." -> "Client" - the active file panel opens an FTP connection showing all drives on the Windows 7 PC. Above the file panel it shows: [0} port://usb

You should see a short flash in the green diode of the Belkin cable, right after you click "Client" in step 4 - an thereafter whenever you transfer data.

If I do step 1 without the cable connected to the Windows 7 PC, the same "USB" window opens, but I get a small error dialog saying: "Connect failed".
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50b4 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
Robert Bull

Post by *Robert Bull »

petermad wrote: 2019-11-29, 01:49 UTC 1. I plug the cable into a USB port on my Window 7 PC (would be your Vista) - I hear the device connected ding-dong sound
[...]
If I do step 1 without the cable connected to the Windows 7 PC, the same "USB" window opens, but I get a small error dialog saying: "Connect failed".
I hadn't thought of it before, but I don't get a 'device connected' sound on either PC. What with that and no indicator lighting up, it looks like neither PC thinks there's a device present. That seems to confirm my notion that my cable is faulty. <sigh> back to Amazon/eBay...

Thanks for your help.
Robert Bull

Post by *Robert Bull »

Just for the record, it looks like it was a faulty cable. I was able to eBay a New-Old Stock sealed package, after which matters proceeded much as you describe. I got quite a lot of "Transfer failed" errors, but maybe some of that was because it was in binary mode, not text. Still, TC transferred most of the files in the test set, with much less fuss than doing so by USB stick.