SUGGESTION: Custom font emphasis for file types similar to current custom colours.

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Jon Lee

SUGGESTION: Custom font emphasis for file types similar to current custom colours.

Post by *Jon Lee »

Title pretty much says it all.

I'd like to be able to not only use colours to highlight various file types but also combinations of bold italic and underline to further differentiate.

Beyond the aesthetics, this allows a more fine grained approach to quick visual file identification.

For example all selected files might be bold while preserving their assigned colour by type.

I'm sure you get the idea...

Hope this might make the list for consideration in the future. Cheers!
NotNull

Re: SUGGESTION: Custom font emphasis for file types similar to current custom colours.

Post by *NotNull »

Jon Lee wrote: 2019-12-18, 04:38 UTC I'm sure you get the idea...
And for people that need to visualize it: you can see it in action in another file manager, Q-Dir.
(the portable version of) Q-Dir can be downloaded here.
Configuration through Menu:Extras > More options > [colors] tab.
dindog

Re: SUGGESTION: Custom font emphasis for file types similar to current custom colours.

Post by *dindog »

personally, I think is useful for some rare case. but they will bring a lot of aligning columns problem because different style font took different spaces. I think they won't gain enough visual advantage compensation for a column list based application as TC is.
NotNull

Post by *NotNull »

dindog wrote: 2019-12-19, 17:29 UTC I think they won't gain enough visual advantage compensation [...]
It is often about subtleties with UI design. Things like the active pane a little bit brighter background than the passive pane or the sorted column a little bit darker ... those settings don't get in the way, but you "just know" their state without further checking.
I have - just an example - configured folders to be shown in bold and read-only/ system/ hidden files to be shown in italic font. No longer a need to check the attributes (don't even have to reserve screen estate for them)
personally, I think is useful for some rare case. but they will bring a lot of aligning columns problem because different style font took different spaces.
Out of the box, TC uses Segoe UI as the default font. It is a proportional font (l is less wide compared to M). Does that give any problems in TC? What font is recommended instead ? (serious question; I have no idea ..)