Everything integration in TC

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

tuska
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Everything integration in TC

Post by *tuska »

Son_Of_Diablo wrote:... but since the build-in filters worked (such as dm for date modified...
I would not call dm:<date> a filter but a function to avoid misunderstandings.
Son_Of_Diablo wrote:I could try reinstalling Everything on my C drive if you believe that could have any impact on the issues.
Even if this problem may not be solved herewith, I would still highly recommend an installation [e.g. portable] on the system drive,
e.g. under C:\Tools\Everything to avoid possible problems with the 'Everything Service'.

/debug in 'Everything':
How or with which program could you extract the text from the debug console window?
Son_Of_Diablo

Post by *Son_Of_Diablo »

tuska wrote: 2019-12-19, 21:39 UTC
Son_Of_Diablo wrote:... but since the build-in filters worked (such as dm for date modified...
I would not call dm:<date> a filter but a function to avoid misunderstandings.
Right, I think I got the words Filter, Macro and Function scrambled.. My bad.

tuska wrote: 2019-12-19, 21:39 UTC
Son_Of_Diablo wrote:I could try reinstalling Everything on my C drive if you believe that could have any impact on the issues.
Even if this problem may not be solved herewith, I would still highly recommend an installation [e.g. portable] on the system drive,
e.g. under C:\Tools\Everything to avoid possible problems with the 'Everything Service'.
I didn't know the drive on which it was installed could have an impact on the service, but if that is the case, then I will be sure to re-install it on the proper drive.
tuska wrote: 2019-12-19, 21:39 UTC /debug in 'Everything':
How or with which program could you extract the text from the debug console window?
I simply made a selection in the console window and hit Ctrl-A followed by Ctrl-C.
I don't know if that is the best way of doing it.. I found that when making a selection in the debug console the console would stop scrolling, well it turned out that the console would stop outputting all together. I later found out that this would also make the Everything GUI lock, which lead me to the conclusion that Everything is logging to the console on the main thread (for reasons), so stopping the console like that could possibly cause issues.
tuska
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *tuska »

Son_Of_Diablo wrote: 2019-12-20, 00:00 UTC I simply made a selection in the console window and hit Ctrl-A followed by Ctrl-C.
Ahh, thanks!

Are there perhaps any noticeable entries (e.g. folder "AppCrash_Everything.exe_...", file "Report.wer")
regarding 'Everything' in the following paths?

Code: Select all

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportArchive\
C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportQueue\
Son_Of_Diablo

Post by *Son_Of_Diablo »

I found one, but I expect this is from one of the times where I had selected text in the debug log and locked the Everything main thread.. I vaguely remember going through the whole "Everything is not responding" thing and eventually killing the app before I found out that selecting text in the console would lock Everything.

Here is the fine anyways: https://pastebin.com/AHJHFWWT
tuska
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *tuska »

If there is only one "APPCRASH" report, then this one will probably not be the problem with your search queries.
Son_Of_Diablo wrote:(I read somewhere that TC pulls things such as file size and attributes
since it doesn't get that from the Everything API... is that correct?)
I found the following information:
2016-11-03: ... TC can now get the file details directly from Everything, and doesn't have to check each file by itself.
HISTORY.TXT
02.11.16 Release Total Commander 9.0 release candidate 4 (RC4) (32/64)
31.10.16 Added: Get file details (size, time, attributes) from Everything 1.4 or newer via new RPC call if available (32/64)
Son_Of_Diablo

Post by *Son_Of_Diablo »

tuska wrote: 2019-12-20, 15:11 UTC
Son_Of_Diablo wrote:(I read somewhere that TC pulls things such as file size and attributes
since it doesn't get that from the Everything API... is that correct?)
I found the following information:
2016-11-03: ... TC can now get the file details directly from Everything, and doesn't have to check each file by itself.
HISTORY.TXT
02.11.16 Release Total Commander 9.0 release candidate 4 (RC4) (32/64)
31.10.16 Added: Get file details (size, time, attributes) from Everything 1.4 or newer via new RPC call if available (32/64)
Well then... guess that isn't an issue then.

Maybe I should try and install TC 9.5beta then, see if that helps the situation in any way.
Is there any real danger with the beta? Or are the warnings on the download page just for the dev to stay safe if something were to happen?
tuska
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *tuska »

Son_Of_Diablo wrote:Is there any real danger with the beta?
Personally, I use every TC beta version after its release and then only in a case of doubt the previous final version.
So far I have had no problems. Even the author confirmed the following in the German forum on December 17th, 2019:
"The pre-release is now very stable and contains fewer errors than version 9.22a."

By the way, I always use the latest version of 'Everything' from here:
If you look at the history on this website, for example from version 1.4.1.935 to 1.4.1.960,
you can see that many bug fixes have been carried out and new functions have been added.
With the latest versions of 'Everything' there were also no problems for me.

Whether someone wants to use only final versions or already beta versions, everyone has to decide for himself.
If necessary, I announce the versions I use in my autosignature (see below ... partly with links).

Windows 10 Pro (x64) Version 1909 (OS build 18363.535)
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4770 CPU @ 3.4OGHz, 16 GB RAM
TC 9.50ß10 x64/x86 | Everything - Version 1.4.1.960 (x64)
☑ 'Everything' | Search queries: TC <=> 'Everything'
Son_Of_Diablo

Post by *Son_Of_Diablo »

tuska wrote: 2019-12-20, 22:17 UTC
Son_Of_Diablo wrote:Is there any real danger with the beta?
Personally, I use every TC beta version after its release and then only in a case of doubt the previous final version.
So far I have had no problems. Even the author confirmed the following in the German forum on December 17th, 2019:
"The pre-release is now very stable and contains fewer errors than version 9.22a."
In that case, I'm going to update TC to the beta tomorrow and see if that changes anything.
I will probably also update Everything to the latest nightly now that I'm at it.

I usually tend to stay at the stable release because I don't wanna have to deal with the issues beta/nightly/etc releases tend to bring. But in this case it looks like it's the exact opposite.

tuska wrote: 2019-12-20, 22:17 UTC By the way, I always use the latest version of 'Everything' from here:
If you look at the history on this website, for example from version 1.4.1.935 to 1.4.1.960,
you can see that many bug fixes have been carried out and new functions have been added.
With the latest versions of 'Everything' there were also no problems for me.
At a quick glance it didn't look like there were much that would directly relate to my issues... however I spotted this entry

Code: Select all

[947] Fixed an issue with IPC query returning the incorrect total items.
Which sounds like it could be related to what I'm experiencing, so updating Everything might be worth a try.

I thank you very much for your input, time, help and suggestions :)
I will be sure to post an update when I have the new versions installed and tested!