Changing Master Password

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Hacker

Changing Master Password

Post by *Hacker »

Hi all,
TC 9.50b9 x64, Windows 10 x64 v1903.

I am using a master password, "OldPassword". I used it to store the login credentials to my Google Drive in the Cloud plugin.
Then I realized I would like to change my old master password, so I did Ctrl-F - Encrypt... - Change master password... - "OldPassword" - confirm - "NewPassword" - "NewPassword".

Now, whenever I login to my Google Drive using the Cloud plugin and TC asks me to enter my Master Password, I have to enter "OldPassword".
However, when I want to change the master password to another one, I need to enter "NewPassword".

Is this normal? Does changing the master password not change the password for encrypting the connection credentials stored using the old password?

TIA
Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Changing Master Password

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

No, it should use the new master password also for plugins.

Try unchecking the option to store the login credentials in the plugin and then re-enable it to save the creditials with the new password.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

Christian,
Try unchecking the option to store the login credentials in the plugin and then re-enable it to save the creditials with the new password.
Yes, this works, but I definitely consider this incorrect and dangerous behavior. By changing the master password I assume all the data that has been protected by the old (potentially compromised) master password is now protected by the new one. I would not expect that only newly entered passwords are protected and I either need to resave all old passwords or keep a history of (potentially unsafe) all my previous master passwords.

Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

Christian,
Will this be changed, please? Imagine changing the master password for a password manager and all the passwords would still be stored with the old password, only newly created ones would be encrypted with the new password. That cannot be the way a master password works.

Roman
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Last time I tried, it worked for me. Maybe it's also caused by your duplicate [General] section, can you check that?
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com