How do I NOT (drag-and)drop into the folder beneath mouse cursor

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

rented

How do I NOT (drag-and)drop into the folder beneath mouse cursor

Post by *rented »

Greetings!

Long, long, looong time user here, I'd say since around '95. I can't believe I have't registered an account here earlier :)

But I have finally reached the of the rope regarding one issue. Something that been bugging me forever.

Sometime I want to move or copy a file or folder from outside of TC (e.g. Explorer) into the folder in one of TC's panes. This folder in TC contains many sub-folders; several pages worth. Now when I drag the object into the TC pane, TC wants to drop the object into the folder below the cursor. But I don't want that, I want it dropped into the folder the pane is listing.

Now I know, there are ways around it. 1) Go up one folder in TC before dragging the object to TC, dropping it on the intended folder. A bit irritating to have escape the dragging, go up a folder, drag'n'drop again, go into the intended folder again. Or 2) slowly scroll the pane list to the bottom while still dragging, by jerky movement all the while telling the computer "Come on, you can do it! Just a couple more rows! please!!!" and then finally target the sliver of space at the end of the list. Both work, but...could be more enjoyable.

So, is there some magic key-combination or a parameter/switch that I can assign to a key that I kan press while dragging that tells TC to drop the file "here" and not in the folder below the cursor? If not, feature request! Please, pretty please!

Thanks!
sqa_wizard
Power Member
Power Member

Re: How do I NOT (drag-and)drop into the folder beneath mouse cursor

Post by *sqa_wizard »

If the current panel shows just folders, just drop it on the vertical scroll bar :-)
#5767 Personal license
rented

Post by *rented »

Really? It was that simple? And in all these years it never occurred to me? Huh

Thanks! I think I'll go hide somewhere now.
matixx
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *matixx »

sqa_wizard wrote: 2020-03-07, 13:08 UTC If the current panel shows just folders, just drop it on the vertical scroll bar :-)
Whaat??? Can't believe that is so simple :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Thank you.

2rented
Thank you!
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

You can also drag it to the "Current directory" bar (above the tabstop headers) -> if you drag to the free space of the bar it goes to current directory, but you can also drag it to any part of the path in the bar.
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50b4 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
rented

Post by *rented »

Well they're just popping up everywhere now aren't they? You can also drop it on the actual tab. I really should have thought of that one earlier. The scroll bar och "current directory" bar, not so obvious maybe.

Excellent that I can drop it on any directory the directory path though. Awesome!