Rename by changing chars to upper case only, fails?

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Robbie

Rename by changing chars to upper case only, fails?

Post by *Robbie »

Hi

I tried to rename a file i.e from abc.xyz to abc.XYX (so caps only change. Unfortunately TC could not handle this. I had to do it in two steps.
i.e abc.xyz -> abc.XYX2 -> abc.XYX

Is it possible to facilitate this?

(Using latest beta)
Regards
Robbie
NotNull

Re: Rename Caps-Only

Post by *NotNull »

When you selected your files:
- Go to Menu:Files > Multi-Rename Tool (Ctrl+M)
- In the Rename mask: file name box, replace [N] with:

Code: Select all

[N][U]
- If all OK (check the new filenames simulation), press Start!

(sorry for the layout; the forum software has issues with U between brackets (= underline)
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

As far as I understand it, you wanto to capitalize the file extension. You can use

Code: Select all

[U][E]
as extension in the rename mask. [ U ] tells TC's MRT to make all following characters upper-case. See TC help for more details (press F1 when in MRT).

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence
Ryzen 5 2600, 16 GiB RAM, ASUS Prime X370-A, Win7 x64

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror
NotNull

Post by *NotNull »

That is effectively the same ...
After the name-part switching to uppercase vs. before the exension-part switching to uppercase.

Might depend on your Windows version too. Windows in itself is case-insensitive and case-retentive, but in older versions (7 and below iirc) you could not rename files by changing only the case. It was seen as the same filename. That is fixed (finally!) in Win10.

I don't know how Total Commander handles this on older Windows versions (I don't use TC)

(FWIW: the underlying NTFS filesystem *is* case-sensitive. To create some extra confusion ;))
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

NotNull wrote: 2020-02-29, 21:59 UTC[...] but in older versions (7 and below iirc) you could not rename files by changing only the case. It was seen as the same filename.
Not true. I've been renaming files, changing only their case, since at least WinXP, maybe even Win2k.
(FWIW: the underlying NTFS filesystem *is* case-sensitive. To create some extra confusion ;))
But the shell (i.e. Explorer, start menu etc.) is not, although it's starting to with the changes in Win10.

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence
Ryzen 5 2600, 16 GiB RAM, ASUS Prime X370-A, Win7 x64

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Unfortunately this is a bug on some Windows versions (including some Windows 10 versions!) when renaming files on a FAT32 or exFAT volume: The rename function is ignored when only the case changes. Currently I don't plan a workaround for this bug.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Robbie

Post by *Robbie »

Just recently switched from 7 to 10. Cant recall i had this issue with 7 but i'll definitely start a VM and explore a little further. Yes i can understand that is's a 10 bug. thanks for the feedback.