Dialog shows up on second monitor

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Jon Canale

Dialog shows up on second monitor

Post by *Jon Canale »

Win10-64 Pro and TC9.51rc3

Sometimes I run 2 monitors, my main "screen1" on the laptop, and another monitor, "screen2". When TC is open and running on screen1, dialogs for delete and shift-delete and maybe some others (?) always want to open on screen2. I've tried moving the dialogs to screen1 and then after dealing with the dialog, I hit save position and save settings, but it seems to have no effect. Where I run into problems is when I happen to leave the second monitor off, and forget to change the graphics setting to single screen - the dialog opens on the screen2 but I don't see it because the monitor is off. TC acts like it is hung, but that's only because it's waiting for my response on the "hidden" dialog.

Is there anything I can do to make TC open dialogs on the same screen on which it is running? Or is is a feature (?) that is just my fault??

Thanks.
sqa_wizard
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Dialog shows up on second monitor

Post by *sqa_wizard »

Try to set the option at wincmd.ini file.

SameScreenAsTC=1 Where to show dialog boxes on multiple monitors. Sum of:
1: Modal dialogs always on same screen as the main window
2: Lister on same screen
4: Compare on same screen
#5767 Personal license
Jon Canale

Post by *Jon Canale »

Thanks! That seems to have done it. I used "SameScreenAsTC=7".

Should have known there was something there to cover it!! (I just can't keep track of it all!)
siealex

Post by *siealex »

Check also that screen 1 is your primary screen in the Windows settings. Sometimes these priorities are set randomly or according to physical port numbers on the video card.
We are not so S.M.A.R.T. as we imagine...
Jon Canale

Post by *Jon Canale »

Looks like SameScreenAsTC=7 is NOT keeping the delete and shift-delete dialog on Screen1 as I would like. It is showing up on Screen2, the external monitor. According to the Intel HD Graphics Control Panel, Screen1 is the built-in laptop display, and Screen2 is the external. So the numbering seems to be what I expect. But with the external monitor on, and the graphics set to extended desktop in the Intel panel, having that line as the first line under Configuration is not doing anything. I even tried moving it down a few lines - still no effect. Also with =1.

TC 9.51rc4
Jon Canale

Post by *Jon Canale »

Can I, or should I post this in the Bugs forum for 9.51, or would that be considered a cross post?
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

I'm sorry but I cannot reproduce this. The delete confirmation dialogs always appear centered on the same screen as the main Total Commander here.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Jon Canale

Post by *Jon Canale »

Then I don't know what to say. With SameScreenAsTC=7 or =1 as the first item under [Configuration] in the wincmd.ini file, the one that TC loads at startup because I see that the file date keeps changing with starts and stops of TC. The file is not in a protected directory - it's a subdiretory that I created at the root level of my drive C.

Any suggestions for troubleshooting??
Jon Canale

Post by *Jon Canale »

If I move the TC window to screen2, Delete and Shift-Delete dialogs show up on screen2. While TC is running on screen2, hitting F1 to bring up help, the help window shows up on screen1. If move it to screen2 then close the window, the next time I hit F1 the window shows up on screen2 where TC is running.

After closing the help window on screen2, and then I move the TC window back to screen1, the next time I hit F1, the help window shows up on screen2 still.

Does this make any sense? Not sure if the help dialog is a Modal dialog or something else. It doesn't seem that that the SameScreenAsTC is doing anything for me.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Unfortunately the help system stores the help coordinates by itself, I cannot influence it.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com