Do we need moderators?

Only forum where polls are allowed. You may announce a new poll in the matching support forum.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Do we need moderators?

No, we don't.
48%
Yes - Lefteous!
10%
Yes - Lefteous and Hacker!
32%
Yes - Hacker!
3%
Yes, but someone else - see my post below.
6%

Total votes: 31

Hacker

Do we need moderators?

Post by *Hacker »

Well, the question says it all, I guess.

Roman
pdavit
Power Member
Power Member
Location: Kavala -> Greece -> Europe -> Earth -> Solar System -> Milky Way -> Space

Post by *pdavit »

I picked option no. 3 but I would have not problem in seeing as moderators any of the following members additionally:

- Clo
- Sheepdog
- djk
- fabiochelly
- SanskritFritz
"My only reason for still using M$ Window$ as an OS is the existence of Total Commander!"
Christian Ghisler Rules!!!
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

This arises a new question - what if moderators "don't fit" - ie have opposing opinions on the same topic (eg moderator A thinks a post is rude and should be removed / poster be warned, however, moderator B thinks the post is a great sarcastic joke and shouldn't be touched, poster praised)...?

Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
norfie
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *norfie »

Last edited by norfie on 2004-09-11, 12:52 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Sheepdog
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sheepdog »

Hacker wrote:eg moderator A thinks a post is rude and should be removed / poster be warned, however, moderator B thinks the post is a great sarcastic joke and shouldn't be touched, poster praised)...?
I guess this would be obvious for the moderator. And if he knows that another moderator could see a posting a different way, he should discuss it with the other(s).

In addition I think a moderator could send an email to the writer even before he has to warn him.

sheepdog
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something
completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
Douglas Adams
Clo

Clearly---

Post by *Clo »

2Hacker
:) Hi Roman !
• Jokes must be clearly indicated, not only by a smiley whether it could be ambiguous…
- To write disguised insults with a " ;) " at each line isn't a joke, it's easy to distinguish.
- In ticklish cases, the moderators could find an agreement together out the board, i.e. via e-mail or messenger, since PMs are disabled still…

:mrgreen:  K R
Claude
Clo
#31505 Traducteur Français de TC French translator Aide en Français Tutoriels Français English Tutorials
WatchUer

Post by *WatchUer »

I picked option no.3, but I would have not problem in seeing as moderators any of the following members additionally:

- fabiochelly
- SanskritFritz
- djk
- Black Dog
- Clo
- Sheepdog
pdavit
Power Member
Power Member
Location: Kavala -> Greece -> Europe -> Earth -> Solar System -> Milky Way -> Space

Post by *pdavit »

Hacker wrote:This arises a new question - what if moderators "don't fit" - ie have opposing opinions on the same topic (eg moderator A thinks a post is rude and should be removed / poster be warned, however, moderator B thinks the post is a great sarcastic joke and shouldn't be touched, poster praised)...?
Moderation by multiple members is not a new idea. It's actually not just an idea but there are tons of living examples. A little research can show some light.

A recent (to me) example I've seen is here: http://forums.divx.com/

At the bottom you'll see a private section where moderators make their discussions on a separate section of the forum which is not accessible to regular members. Now, I don't know the contents of that area but someone can easily assume it can be used to make decisions over inappropriate posts, etc.
"My only reason for still using M$ Window$ as an OS is the existence of Total Commander!"
Sheepdog
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sheepdog »

norfie wrote:I would have not problem in seeing as moderators
Black Dog
norfie ;)
So you have voted against moderators, I guess. Because Black Dog wouldn't be a moderator but a stimulator.

Or prhaps I had wrote better:

Dont' feed the trolls

sheepdog
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something
completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
Douglas Adams
Vansumsen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Vansumsen »

I picked option no. 3 but I would have not problem in seeing as moderators any of the following members additionally:

- Clo
- Sheepdog
- djk
- fabiochelly
- SanskritFritz

I also agree for a private section where moderators make their discussions on a separate section of the forum which is not accessible to regular members.

In addition I also think moderators could send an email to the writer even before he has to warn him.
Ouistiti, #11943

L'important n'est pas de convaincre, mais de donner à réfléchir.
The important thing is not to convince, but to incite to think.

norfie
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *norfie »

Last edited by norfie on 2004-09-11, 12:51 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
djk
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *djk »

Well, I've hesitated for a long time how to vote.

I've been always proud (and happy) of the fact that this forum didn't need moderators. Mostly because people
really tried to keep to forum rules. I've already seen many other forums and this one is one of the "cleanest".

Of course it happend several times even here that some people weren't too nice or put eg. some links to illegal software. But it wasn't too often.

I hope that if we have a moderator he won't become a GOD here. I've seen some forums where moderators put comments to almost every second post - it was not acceptable :-(

IMO it would be good if there were several moderators - it would make their work easier - I'm not afraid that they will be quarreling but the separate forum for moderators could be helpful.

Finally I've voted for the third option cause both Lefteous and Hacker are good candidates for moderators but of course there are also a few other people who could do it, too.
DJK
Totally addicted to Total Commander
totalcmd.pl
en.totalcmd.pl
pdavit
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *pdavit »

djk wrote:I hope that if we have a moderator he won't become a GOD here. I've seen some forums where moderators put comments to almost every second post - it was not acceptable :-(
I'm confident that if moderators consist of the list I have outlined above there won't be any such problems. ;)
djk
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *djk »

2pdavit
You are right :-)
DJK
Totally addicted to Total Commander
totalcmd.pl
en.totalcmd.pl
deus-ex
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *deus-ex »

Have'nt voted yet. I'm fine with the candidates, but are there additional volunteers to be added to the list?
I don't want to miss the chance to give them a vote, too.

Hacker?

Regards, deus-ex.