Syncing dirs?, syncronizing folders?, compare subfolders?

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

doncachopo

Syncing dirs?, syncronizing folders?, compare subfolders?

Post by *doncachopo »

First, lots of thanks for this awesome tool.
I have two questions regarding syncronizing folders (sorry for my bad english):

1- How can I sync two or more folders which are stored under different structures.
Example:

left panel:

Image: https://i.imgur.com/D9jFTVk.png

right panel:
Image: https://i.imgur.com/7qXRkC2.png

I want to compare and sync the folders 1 , 2 and 3 . So, how can I select them in the left panel?

2- Is it possible to save the settings of a sync so it can be used again in the future?

Thanks in advance
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Syncing dirs

Post by *Dalai »

doncachopo wrote: 2020-03-08, 16:28 UTC1- How can I sync two or more folders which are stored under different structures.
You can't do such thing in TC, and I also don't know any program that supports this.
2- Is it possible to save the settings of a sync so it can be used again in the future?
Look in the upper left corner, there's a button that opens a menu with which you can save and load sync profiles. The F2 key also opens the same menu.

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence
Ryzen 5 2600, 16 GiB RAM, ASUS Prime X370-A, Win7 x64

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror
doncachopo

Post by *doncachopo »

Thanks for the answer. Another one
How can I compare just the list of subfolders of a folder, and not the content of those subfolders?
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

doncachopo wrote: 2020-03-08, 19:00 UTCHow can I compare just the list of subfolders of a folder, and not the content of those subfolders?
Not as simple, and not possible in TC's Synchronize directories, but here's how it could work in TC:
  1. Menu Show > Custom...
  2. Click Define
  3. On Advanced tab select [X] Attributes and [X] Directory, leave everything else as is, click Save and give that search a name, e.g. "Only directories"
  4. Back in the previous window, select that search and click OK
This filters TC's panels to show only directories. Do that in both panels (you obviously have to define the search only once), and you're good to go for the next step. You can switch back to the full view with menu Show > All Files.

To actually compare the directories, use command cm_CompareDirsWithSubdirs - enter that in TC's command line, put it on a button in the button bar, or define some hotkey in Options > Misc.

HTH

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence
Ryzen 5 2600, 16 GiB RAM, ASUS Prime X370-A, Win7 x64

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror
Horst.Epp
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Horst.Epp »

doncachopo wrote: 2020-03-08, 19:00 UTC Thanks for the answer. Another one
How can I compare just the list of subfolders of a folder, and not the content of those subfolders?
Its simple.
Enter some strange file name like *.xxxx instead of *.* in the field between the two pathes.
Windows 11 Home x64 Version 23H2 (OS Build 22631.3374)
TC 11.03 x64 / x86
Everything 1.5.0.1371a (x64), Everything Toolbar 1.3.2, Listary Pro 6.3.0.69
QAP 11.6.3.2 x64
doncachopo

Post by *doncachopo »

Dalai wrote: 2020-03-08, 19:48 UTC
doncachopo wrote: 2020-03-08, 19:00 UTCHow can I compare just the list of subfolders of a folder, and not the content of those subfolders?
Not as simple, and not possible in TC's Synchronize directories, but here's how it could work in TC:
  1. Menu Show > Custom...
  2. Click Define
  3. On Advanced tab select [X] Attributes and [X] Directory, leave everything else as is, click Save and give that search a name, e.g. "Only directories"
  4. Back in the previous window, select that search and click OK
This filters TC's panels to show only directories. Do that in both panels (you obviously have to define the search only once), and you're good to go for the next step. You can switch back to the full view with menu Show > All Files.

To actually compare the directories, use command cm_CompareDirsWithSubdirs - enter that in TC's command line, put it on a button in the button bar, or define some hotkey in Options > Misc.

HTH

Regards
Dalai
Really helpful, thanks for the elaborated answer