TC 9.51 - TC can rename its own directory where installed while running

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

andry81

TC 9.51 - TC can rename its own directory where installed while running

Post by *andry81 »

It's kind of a strange thing I never seen before.
I've tried accidentally to rename a directory and has renamed the wrong one where the TC is running and it has let me did that!

Because I have installed the TC into different place, then I have tried to test that for a directory, where the installer has trying to install by default and it didn't work out: `c:\totalcmd`

Then later I've noticed that there was other directories around and tried to create the same directory near the `c:\totalcmd`: `c:\totalcmd scripts`

And.. It let me rename the directory: `c:\totalcmd1` !

The `Process Hacker` reported the process is running with the same process id in non existed directory!

I've tested it with the Far, it didn't work there.

What the hell was that?
Hacker

Re: TC 9.51 - TC can rename its own directory where installed while running

Post by *Hacker »

[mod="Hacker"]Moved to the English forum.[/mod]
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

andry81,
What is the bug? You can rename any directory that is not locked.

Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
andry81

Post by *andry81 »

I didn't try to rename any directory, only the TC installation one.
Wilhelm M.
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Wilhelm M. »

Hacker wrote: 2020-05-20, 10:47 UTC andry81,
What is the bug? You can rename any directory that is not locked.

Roman
Well, seems a problem to me. Assume that TC is configured to save its configuration during closing. Since TC was started from a certain directory it tries to save into a directory that does not exist anymore. Admitted, I have not tried it and I do not want to ...
Grüße/Regards,
Wilhelm
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

Wilhelm M.,
Yes, well, one has to take that into account when renaming any directory. Some program might want to write into it but it will be renamed already. I don't think it's TC's job to tell the user before any action that "your action might have consequences".

Roman
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

andry81,
I didn't try to rename any directory, only the TC installation one.
That counts as any.

Roman
Wilhelm M.
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Wilhelm M. »

Hacker wrote: 2020-05-20, 13:00 UTC Wilhelm M.,
Yes, well, one has to take that into account when renaming any directory. Some program might want to write into it but it will be renamed already. I don't think it's TC's job to tell the user before any action that "your action might have consequences".

Roman
I agree with you - in principle :wink: . But the same could be argued if e.g. you delete the TOTALCMD.EXE from witihin TC. The system could let you do it - if you are stupid enough, take the consequences. But there is an error message (I think, don't want to try that either), with good reason. Okay, I don't want to exaggerate the importance of this, but I understand the doubts of andry81.
Grüße/Regards,
Wilhelm
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

Wilhelm M.,
there is an error message
Yes, well, because it is locked. Then we can rephrase the question to if TC should lock all files it might need in the future.

Roman
Wilhelm M.
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Wilhelm M. »

No, sir. Just its own directory name which has nothing to do with the future. Thats a bit polemical, isn't it? Because changing the directory name changes all the paths to files required by TC itself. I cannot imagine any situation when such a name change would make sense. So if a user tries to do that, it must be an error - and should be forbidden.
BTW: what about the other file managers? Can you also use them to cut down the branch on which you are sitting?
Grüße/Regards,
Wilhelm
Wilhelm M.
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Wilhelm M. »

Yes, other file mangagers are just as stupid as TC! Tried FreeCommanderXE a few moments ago and found the same behaviour. After changing the directory name, closing the commander results in an error message: Cannot write FreeComander.ini or something like that. So this is general behaviour and has nothing to do with TC. As expected. :D
Grüße/Regards,
Wilhelm
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

Wilhelm M.,
its own directory name which has nothing to do with the future
Well, you referred to TC saving its configuration in the future:
Assume that TC is configured to save its configuration during closing.
changing the directory name changes all the paths to files required by TC itself
Well, depends, TC can have everything loaded in memory already. Or it can use relative paths.
I cannot imagine any situation when such a name change would make sense.
Well, renaming a portable TC directory? Testing different TC portable versions in different directories? Correcting a typo in a portable TC directory name?
So if a user tries to do that, it must be an error
How would you rename TC's dir otherwise when you need to? Would you have to run Explorer? Or download and install some other file manager just to rename TC's dir?
it must be an error - and should be forbidden.
No, definitely not.

Roman
Wilhelm M.
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Wilhelm M. »

Well, I always use TC in portable mode. And the examples you mention, when renaming does make sense - I would exactly do what you seemingly don't want to do: use another file manager or (even) Windows Explorer. Why not? In everyday work I would never use WE (puh!), but in this special case? WE may be gruesome but it does not carry the corona virus. So touching it will not harm. :wink:

But let's stop here. I got your point. And andry81's problem is not my problem.
Grüße/Regards,
Wilhelm